Dropped an egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newchickgal, Jan 4, 2012.

1. newchickgal

newchickgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2009
    Republic of Panama
    I was getting the eggs from the nesting box and there were ants in there. One of the eggs had some ants on it and here, where I live, ants will bite, even the small ones pack a good one. So I was trying to get them off the egg while holding both eggs, well...I dropped one on the ground and my chicks dove into it. Have I ruined them now? Have they developed a taste for egg? Will they start breaking and eating their eggs now? [​IMG]

2. My golden laced wyandotte went broody and she sat on the same eggs I fed ALL my chickens (and turkeys). They ate the shell and yolk and all but the wyandotte (bullhead) never even considered eating them, your chicks will be fine [​IMG]

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

It happens, no worries.

It is instinct for them to jump quickly to devour any broken eggs before the predators find them. Can't cry over spilt milk, or, er... broken eggs. Sooner or later, everyone drops an egg, no matter how careful we are.

4. Ya one egg wont cannibalize them a 10000 eggs with a bunch of chicks eating them will cannibalize the chicks.

5. Geckochick

Geckochick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2011
    I regularly throw eggs that have been cracked or broken in the coop (usually one of the kids gathering recklessly) to the girls. They run for it and it is gone in seconds. But, if an egg cracks in the nesting boxes they will not touch it. They will only eat them if I throw them to the ground.

6. newchickgal

newchickgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2009
    Republic of Panama
    Thanks for the good info. I now breathe a sigh of relief! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by