Dropped fertile egg very close to hatch date... HELP!

It may still be alive, so dont give up yet.. Duck eggs are tough, far tougher then chicken eggs, so the shell may have survived the fall unharmed..And maybe the fall wasnt not to bad. However, If it got too cold, it will mostly not make it, and the 'shock' of being dropped could also kill it, depending on "How Bad" the drop actually was. So Yes, about the only thing you can do Is just put back and Wait..(Very Stressing, I know). I would check it again after a few hour, when it has had time to warm up..And Just because Its not moving does not necessarily mean Its dead.. could still be alive, just not moving.. I have had some cold/dropped eggs survive.. I have also had some None Moving fetuses hatch, and Moving fetuses Not hatch. Just remember, the fetuses dont always make it anyway, regardless.. Some never start, some quit along the way, and Some go full term but just dont ever hatch, for unknown reasons; even in the wild. AND even if the duckling does not make it, TRY very hard, not to blame yourself.. accidents happen, even in the barn and in the wild too..

The air sack should be getting a little bigger, as ducklings hatch around 28 days..(FYI: Unless they are Muscovy.. then its 32 days..)

Thank you so much for the reply. You really made my day! The little thing is still wriggling around in there and I still see veins pumping so I'm going to continue to watch it and hope it makes it all the way to hatch! Thanks again I'll let you know how it turns out!

I also just dropped a duck egg! The turner came up and a few rolled out unlit one dropped and cracked. It wasn’t as bad as the last chicken egg but it still cracked the outer shell, not the membrane, so I decided to try and cover it with wax paper with wax melted over it, something I saw on the internet. I hope it works and helps anyone who drops an egg in the future!

Easy solution : Just take a wet old soft paintbrush and cover water on the memebranes. Try not do damage then and do not add to much water. Do this every 20 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom