Dropping board

Jenn7000

Hatching
Jan 27, 2015
My first girls have just arrived and trying to set up my 'systems' for easy maintenance and care. I have a store-bought coop with a aluminium-like removable dropping board. I had put hay down on it, but I see that sand and sweet pdz are perhaps better options? It looks like the girls like the hay so much they didn't sit on the roost. Feedback?

I'm guessing your coop is tiny so you'll be wanting to clean it out often to prevent a build up of moisture and ammonia releasing poop. You can scoop the sand/pdz just like a cat litter box, removing just the poop and keeping the coop clean and dry.

My first girls have just arrived and trying to set up my 'systems' for easy maintenance and care. I have a store-bought coop with a aluminium-like removable dropping board. I had put hay down on it, but I see that sand and sweet pdz are perhaps better options? It looks like the girls like the hay so much they didn't sit on the roost. Feedback?
Welcome to BYC!

Sand/PDZ might work, it's what I use on roost board but use shavings on floor.......
.....but my coop is pretty big, not sure you'd have room for both in a store bought coop.

Pics of coop inside and out would help us help you.

Lots of folks put their show birds they're conditioning on clay cat litter to prep them/keep them clean. It seems to be especially common for feather legged breeds.

I don't show, but never thought it was a good idea myself. Like you said, they're bound to sample it and it just can't be good for them!

Maybe the OP is using a natural litter, made of compressed pine or paper?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom