Dropping board

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jenn7000, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Jenn7000

Jenn7000 New Egg

Jan 27, 2015
    My first girls have just arrived and trying to set up my 'systems' for easy maintenance and care. I have a store-bought coop with a aluminium-like removable dropping board. I had put hay down on it, but I see that sand and sweet pdz are perhaps better options? It looks like the girls like the hay so much they didn't sit on the roost. Feedback?

2. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    I'm guessing your coop is tiny so you'll be wanting to clean it out often to prevent a build up of moisture and ammonia releasing poop. You can scoop the sand/pdz just like a cat litter box, removing just the poop and keeping the coop clean and dry.

1 person likes this.
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Sand/PDZ might work, it's what I use on roost board but use shavings on floor.......
    .....but my coop is pretty big, not sure you'd have room for both in a store bought coop.

Pics of coop inside and out would help us help you.

4. Jenn7000

Jenn7000 New Egg

Jan 27, 2015
    Thanks all - I'm using cat litter and it works really well....easy clean.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Cat litter is not great idea.......not good if/when they ingest it.
    What kind are you using?

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Lots of folks put their show birds they're conditioning on clay cat litter to prep them/keep them clean. It seems to be especially common for feather legged breeds.

I don't show, but never thought it was a good idea myself. Like you said, they're bound to sample it and it just can't be good for them!

Maybe the OP is using a natural litter, made of compressed pine or paper?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by