Dropping boards ?

Hi and welcome to BYC! I don't use poop boards but from where the poop falls, I would just say the board doesn't need to be any wider than the widest distance from where each chickens butt could be. The poop pretty much falls straight down from the bird. I decided that using poop boards would just be one more surface to have to clean. I use deep litter and keep fresher shavings everywhere but directly under the roosts. I then will tumble the shavings turning the poop under and spreading clean shavings on top. I pull the cleaner shavings out from the corners and move the not quite as clean to be mostly under the roosts. Then about once every 2 or 3 weeks I'll take out the shavings and refill with fresh. I also use DE to keep things dry. I figure poop boards just make for more clean up, more surface area to scrape. Just the way I do it and it works good for me. You can see my setup on my page. Good luck and I'm sure you'll get lots of ideas and you can pick what feels right for you.

We put up a poop shelf for 6 birds this fall. Love it 90% of the poop falls on it . I scrape it daily into a dust pan and pitch it in a 5 gallon pail next to the coop. The bedding stays clean and they have move floor space under it. Just a piece of plywood.

Hello and welcome again. I have a similar sized coop: 4 ft by 6 ft by 4.5 ft for six standards and I don't use droppings boards. The girls have an L-shaped roost and I use shavings as bedding. Everyday I take a kittly litter scoop and scoop the poop off of the top of the shavings then I stir up the shavings. I have a playhouse coop with an additional run so they go outside and don't spend much time inside so it doesn't get too dirty.

However, I live in a dry climate, Colorado, and what poop remains in the shavings just dries out without a problem. I have to add additional shavings about every two months. It's really easy to maintain.

Mary
I too am in colorado

Hi and welcome to BYC! I don't use poop boards but from where the poop falls, I would just say the board doesn't need to be any wider than the widest distance from where each chickens butt could be. The poop pretty much falls straight down from the bird. I decided that using poop boards would just be one more surface to have to clean. I use deep litter and keep fresher shavings everywhere but directly under the roosts. I then will tumble the shavings turning the poop under and spreading clean shavings on top. I pull the cleaner shavings out from the corners and move the not quite as clean to be mostly under the roosts. Then about once every 2 or 3 weeks I'll take out the shavings and refill with fresh. I also use DE to keep things dry. I figure poop boards just make for more clean up, more surface area to scrape. Just the way I do it and it works good for me. You can see my setup on my page. Good luck and I'm sure you'll get lots of ideas and you can pick what feels right for you.

What is DE?

I love my droppings board. I so would never have a coop without it. Just think, the droppings must go somewhere and if it's on the floor, your birds will be in it and dirtier. Plus it eats up clean floor space for them to play in. Good luck, anxious to see what you come up with.

19759_june_02_09a_003.jpg

Right after this pic was taken we tacked the linoleum to the wall with molding so it wouldn't curl and pull up. The floor is also covered in linoleum and covered with 3 inches of pine shavings which I have never had to replace yet and I added it when I got my chicks in June. I just rake it and the heavy goes to the bottom while the light and fluffy comes to the top. Doesn't stink in there either although it is winter here still. Deep litter method would be way more difficult if they dropped all their nightly droppings on the floor. I just clean the droppings board with a small dustpan at least once per week and all is well.
What is the width of you dropping board?

Back
Top Bottom