Dropping Eggs while Roosting at night Question?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Schwartzfarmnc, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    We have a new layer who has laid only 1 egg on 7/18/11, none on 7/19/11 but there were 2 broken eggs this morning below her on the poop board. First question, is this typically for young layers, she is 19 weeks. Second question, is it possible she laid both eggs, could she have held 2, one was pretty small the other medium? Thank you for your help!! I checked on the girls at night @9pm every night, and there was no eggs, so had to happen during the night.

2. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Yes, it is very common for new layers to lay eggs during the night from the roost. Even experienced layers do it from time to time. I would think it would be possible for both eggs to be hers- new layers do some weird things until they get the "kinks" worked out.

3. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    Thanks for your reply!
    I suppose her schedule will work itself out then. I was hoping that another girl had started laying too, but maybe we can find that out today if we find another egg.

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Yep yep, completely normal. I feel so sorry for new layers, it's got to be super confusing! I had one girl who was in the middle of scratching around in the run, and *pop*, out came an egg. The look on her face was priceless since it was her first. She ran from it like she had no idea where it came from [​IMG]

Your girls will figure it out. I find that generally the first week is rough, then things smooth out.

5. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    Really good to know! I had the exact same thing happen to me about 2 weeks ago and I was pretty confused. Thanks for clearing that up!! [​IMG]

6. ronikins

ronikins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    SW Missouri (Ozarks)
    Quote:Hahahahhaha that would be somethin to see!

I still occasionally find an egg under the roost of my 1 y/o's. Alot of the time they are soft shelled eggs, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by