Dropping like flies....but they are baby turkeys.

madagascar

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 21, 2012
Hi, I wrote on here about a baby turkey who was sick and died. Well it happened again. We had 18 we are down to 16. We can't find anything to tell us what is wrong. their symptoms fit no sickness we can find described in our vet books. We live in Tamatave, Madagascar. They are sluggish not all of them are eating like they were. But here is the kicker no diarrhea. Which ever book says they should. So if anyone might have clues as to what they have or how to treat it we would be so thankful.

This isn't uncommon in turkeys. Poults are VERY fragile and it's not unheard of to lose a few for no apparent reason.

Have they been exposed to other birds? Where did you get them from? Is blackhead common in your area?

Yes they are on dirt. I am in Tamatave, Madagascar. We have no clue about blackhead. They hatched from the turkeys we already had.

Yes they are on dirt. I am in Tamatave, Madagascar. We have no clue about blackhead. They hatched from the turkeys we already had.

Sometimes having them on dirt is not good. Poults should be raised up off the ground or on sand for at least 4 or 5 months. Their immune system is very weak and this time is needed to build it up. Not knowing what parasites are in the dirt, they could have picked up on something when pecking around in the dirt.

Tell me about the feed they are eating.

How old are they?

Back
Top Bottom