DROWNED TURKEY A WARNING FOR ALL

3 NH reds

Songster
9 Years
Dec 5, 2011
Western Mass
We had 6 Turkey poults that are one month old. I went out this am to check on food and water levels. I go in the coop and count 5 birds, so I start looking for #6 and quickly find it in the 5 gallon waterer dead. It must have flew up to the bucket and roosted there and I wonder if it went after the water or just slipped. I now have a wire mesh cover over it. I must say t5his is one scenario I never saw coming. Figures it was the biggest one.

Is it a commonly sold 5-gallon waterer? If they are sold at TSC, maybe finding the one it is and posting the link to it would be helpful for others as well.
Thanks for the heads up!

If my waterer wih the nipples on it is high enough wilk it okay?
I would suggest against it. Their natural urge to purch will make them want to get ontop of it anyways. The original poster probably did not think anything was wrong with her watering system (where it was or how it was) at first, but, as you read, there was a problem. Simply getting a lid and putting holes in it so no one can fall in should help. They sell lids for 5 gallon buckets very cheap; I suggest looking at Lowes or other home improvement stores. A fix that is under $5 is peace of mind for all around.

I would stay long away from the lids like the Depot sells. They do not fasten on and the bucket deforms with all the weight, no way that lid stays on. A bucket with a lid that fastens on would work, like a 5 gallon paint bucket.. Can't wait for them to be big enough for the outdoor run.

The smaller the bucket the less (weight) stress on the water system. I have used everything from 1 to 5 gallon buckets and prefer two 2 or 2.5 gallon ones. Easier to handle and you don't get the stress on the lids or handles like you do on the 5 gal buckets. I am currently using the following 2.5 gal buckets for my Meaties & my turkeys. I put metal handles on some. Some I just use the plastic handles they come with. These are available Free at you local grocery store.

I have a 55 galllon drum system hooked up by pvc to all 4 coops but the Turkey are to small to go out yet and I need to repair one leak.

Back
Top Bottom