Drug test for welfare recipients

I think it is fine.My spouse has to submit for ramdom ones,and it is often done ft he drives a certain amount of miles in a pay period(OTR driver). We always joke that they will call him in for a test when he hits a certain amount of miles. No worries since he is clean,clean,clean.

If I wanted free(welfare) money the least I can do is a pee test to get it. If I am found positive then they(we) will pay for FREE treatment.That is how our system is.If you get free money it SHOULD have some requirements and restrictions.You did not earn it in anyway,so you should have to hop through a few hoops.

Even with the debit cards people are able to get cash from stores and go buy the things they REALLY want.Was just in the news last week that they busted another store owner for this scam.

I wish I was getting some free money. I am low on food and gas but I have a lot of bills to pay first. I would pee for some cash!

Drug addiction is a health issue, not a public matter.

We are the only first world country to make personal and moral issues legal ones.

Homosexuality
Drug Addiction
Abortion
Prostitution
We swear on the Bible in court.

Last edited:
i can't imagine something like this becoming law. Although, it feels like it would be a good thing to do. But some welfare recipients are spending their money unwisely in other ways, too - expensive cell phones, jewelry, and other non-essentials. There certainly needs to be some kind of revision, as too many people see welfare as a way of life, rather than assistance through a tough time.

If they had to pass a drug test, over 3/4 of them would not be able to afford the cell phones, jewelry, nails, new cars....

If they had to pass a drug test, over 3/4 of them would not be able to afford the cell phones, jewelry, nails, new cars....

That is pretty remarkable that you really believe that 3/4 of the people on welfare could not pass a drug test. Who would have known that?? Please impart some more of your interesting statistics and don't worry if they are correct or even close, just throw them out there for all of us to see and we will rename this thread something that would be more appropriate.

Hubby's work (he is a contracted driver through FedEx) makes them take spot tests. What I mean by that is, they can test them at any time when ever FedEx feels the need. They send them to a lab to have it done. They are not paid for their time while taking the test either.

FedEx contracts people to buy at least 3 routes. Then that person hires drivers for those routes. FedEx still holds all the cards though.

I would be agreeable to taking a pee test, were I on welfare or any other government assistance. (We are not. We make $1.83 more then the allowed income for a family of five for food stamps.) I think it would be a good program, but people will find ways around anything. I do know that there are family's on food stamps, welfare and the like that need it and are clean from drugs. I also know that it takes one bad apple to ruin the bunch. Tennessee is a pretty place to live. Until you go into the projects and see the drugs and hookers and mess. Basically I would see it as a welcome step into cleaning up the state at least a little.

My buddy worked around Nashville in construction on federal housing projects and he said there is no way he would live there. He did say it was nice country though.

It is as long as you stay away from those area's. Down town Chattanooga is littered with it. It can be comical driving through....nice....omg!....nice...ewe...sweet!...omg, run!....ooooooo.....eek....ahhhh

actually, the entire system needs over-hauled. Yes, there are people who abuse the system. There are those who come from a long line of lifetime welfare recipients. Benefit limits have helped a LOT with that.

However, there still is work to be done. the vast majority on welfare want to get off. However, the system is actually designed to discourage that. Case workers will advise people to quit their job because minimum wage/part time isn't enough to live on, but is too much for welfare. You are receiving aid and trying to get back on your feet? Well it had better be straight into a full-time job! Otherwise you will have to quit if you want to be able to feed your kids.

Many states have welafre to work programs. They require recipients to work at certain jobs a set number of hours to receive their benefits. It's mostly along the lines of volunteer work - cleaning highways, parks, etc. If you give the toll booth jobs, the DMV, government jobs to those on welfare then what are you going to do with all the people currently working those jobs?

How TRUE that is! When I lost my job, was pregnant, hubby has a job but not making much with NO health benefits, I had to cash out my 401K to GET the medicaid and food stamps because they consider it as an asset! I thought why should I want to cash in my retirement?! Oh it just sucks big time and still can not go on 401K because my daughter is on Medicaid but we are not, thankfully hubby has a better job, has own health insurance and we are NO longer on the welfare program. I had over $10,000 in the 401K that I worked HARD and now what will we do when we retire? I don't like the way it ran the program, thus creating MORE career welfare folks who had NO choice but to go up to get out of it. Employers are not hiring and the cycle is vicious.

We were on welfare off and on for six years until hubby found this job which we are totally off of it except the only thing we have that we needed for our daughter was the secondary carrier for Medicaid All Kids Care program. We actually pay nothing on her bills but there are certain things they will not pay for are her ADD tests, the PSY care and counseling she required to have for her handicap as well as us, as parents, needed the tools to help our daughter. Too many kids out there that are not covered by the state, they fall thru the cracks, and that is why it was so long getting our daughter diagnosed with ADD and Asperger's. I thought we live in a great country that can help our kids become more productive but alas, it was not unless you are willing to pay out of pocket expenses to GET the help.

Back
Top Bottom