Drunk chicken?

Ladobaze

Songster
Jan 20, 2020
Lexington, KY
I have a hen (a silkie) that is seemingly pretty lethargic and although I don’t know if she’s eating or drinking yet, I just noticed she is also walking “drunk”. Stumbling around. Using her wing for support on occasion. It’s really sad :(
She’s our sweetest girl, too. She adopted a 10 week old chicken when it lost its siblings. Uhg. Anyways, what could this be? I’ve checked her out and she seems fine as far as I can’t feel any egg inside of her, her eyes/nostrils seem fine. Crop seems fine. Her feet are fine. No bumble foot. I’ve looked up a lot of different things on google but just curious what someone with some more experience might think. I’ve only had chickens for a little under a year.

Could your hen have mereks?

(Tagging people who will know better than me)
@Eggcessive
@Wyorp Rock
That’s exactly what I was wondering. :( she’s not moving around much at all. She didn’t even go in the coop when the other chickens did. Just stayed outside. We had to pick her up and put her in

I have a hen (a silkie) that is seemingly pretty lethargic and although I don’t know if she’s eating or drinking yet, I just noticed she is also walking “drunk”. Stumbling around. Using her wing for support on occasion. It’s really sad :(
She’s our sweetest girl, too. She adopted a 10 week old chicken when it lost its siblings. Uhg. Anyways, what could this be? I’ve checked her out and she seems fine as far as I can’t feel any egg inside of her, her eyes/nostrils seem fine. Crop seems fine. Her feet are fine. No bumble foot. I’ve looked up a lot of different things on google but just curious what someone with some more experience might think. I’ve only had chickens for a little under a year.
That’s exactly what I was wondering. :( she’s not moving around much at all. She didn’t even go in the coop when the other chickens did. Just stayed outside. We had to pick her up and put her in
How old is she?

Feel inside her vent for an egg. Really check her over for lice/mites, see that her crop is emptying overnight.
Get some photos of her poop and of her.
A video of her actions may be helpful as well - upload video to youtube and provide a link.

If you need to, bring her in and make sure she's drinking well. Once hydrated, see if she will eat a little wet feed.

Think if there's anything she could have ingested - toxins, moldy feed, etc. Watch to see that she able to see - she may need a feather trim around the eyes.

I feel for your loss. The only thing I can say is that if this happened in a matter of a couple of days, I doubt it is Marek. In my short experience with Marek, it takes at least 2 weeks, sometimes a month (some cases 2 months) from the first symptoms till departure. I am not an expert, though, but let's hope and pray no Marek will approach your flock.

Back
Top Bottom