drunk silkie

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gambler, Jul 14, 2011.

1. gambler

gambler Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2010
    western Pa
    I have a silkie that is 2months old and she is very tiny when compared to other silkies of the same age.
    I noticed her last night kind of wobbly almost like she was drunk. She does not walk around much and she has some poop on her back end.
    Any ideas of what could be wrong? And any treatments?

2. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    She could have gotten into moldy feed or have you checked her crop? Could have sour crop or impacted crop?

3. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    vitimans needed??
    Quote:

4. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    I would give her some electrolytes in her water--try and flush it out...how is her crop?

5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Silkies are prone to something called wry neck. I haven't treated one for it yet, but I've read about it on the forum. Try doing a search on it and see if the symptoms sound like what you see. There are various threads discussing supplements that can help a chicken with this problem. She many be thin because she has some difficulty controlling her movements well enough to eat and drink enough. I hope she improves.

6. Shanda

Shanda Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2010
    Elk Grove, CA
    Whatever you do, do it quickly. My Silkie, Blanca, was showing similar symptoms off and on for about a month. We thought it was related to a accident she had with a string (long story). Then one afternoon I went in the coop and she was laying on her side. I picked her up and a bunch of fluid came out of her mouth while she lay limp in my hand. I held her and she died a few minutes later. It was so sad for our family as she was the most beautiful, sweet, loving chicken we had. We miss her so much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by