Dry Feed or Wet Feed?

htybanez

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 14, 2014
I'm new to breeding backyard chickens. I'm feeding my chickens with commercial feeds? Since I don't have the luxury of having a big ground for them to roam around I enclosed them (5 chickens) in a coop. Id like to ask which is better to feed them, dry feeds or wet feeds? Suggestions, replies are very much appreciated.

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

BYC has a very useful learning center
caf.gif

Wet feed has it's perks one being the wind won't steel it .
gig.gif

It slides down easer
lau.gif

Less waste
love.gif

The body absorbs the vitamins easer
yesss.gif

Chickens also like a warm meal in the winter
yippiechickie.gif

Takes a little bit longer to make
duc.gif

gander007
old.gif

whatever your birds prefer - if you do serve wet make sure leftovers or spilled feed is NOT allowed to lay around long enough to get moldy. Mold can kill birds quickly.

Dry feed is easier, but there's more waste. In my experience, they absolutely love wet food - they eat it like candy! Just make sure you only give them enough for the day, though. That way it won't be around long enough to get moldy.

If you want to try wet feed why not fermented feed. You can take for example layer crumbles and soak them in water. You let them set where air can get to them and in a few days you will see bubbles from the fermentation process. If you add a few ounces of unpasteurized apple cider vinegar with the mother it will speed up the process and provide the proper type of fermentation. Look at the threads for fermenting feed on this site if you want more info.

images

Welcome to BYC!

Yes, dry food is easier, but they adore wet feed. Just make sure to only put out what they will eat that day as wet feed can grow bacteria. Fermenting feed is an option as well. Many people swear by fermented feed. Here is the link to our Feeding Your Flock forums. Take a look around, post if you need to and maybe some one can help you more there...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/12/feeding-watering-your-flock

So glad you could join our community and welcome to our flock!

images

Welcome to BYC!

Yes, dry food is easier, but they adore wet feed. Just make sure to only put out what they will eat that day as wet feed can grow bacteria. Fermenting feed is an option as well. Many people swear by fermented feed. Here is the link to our Feeding Your Flock forums. Take a look around, post if you need to and maybe some one can help you more there...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/12/feeding-watering-your-flock

So glad you could join our community and welcome to our flock!

Properly fermented feed should produce good bacteria that is beneficial to the bird's digestive system. In my experience the birds eat less, waste less, drink less and have less poop. They look healthier as well.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/644300/fermenting-feed-for-meat-birds

Back
Top Bottom