Dry hatch no turn

So exciting new they are all getting huge!
PXL_20230731_100232221.jpg
PXL_20230731_100341060.jpg
PXL_20230731_100211880.jpg

So you have 3 out of 55 eggs?
I always do dry hatch until lockdown but never purposely tried no turning.

You did worse on the no turn than I expected. Turning helps stop the yolk or embryo from sticking to the inside of the shell. If it is stuck it can't hatch. Turning helps body parts to form in the right spots, that mostly means internal organs and plumbing. Turning helps distribute certain fluids throughout the whites so nutrients get distributed better while the embryo is developing. Notice that I said "helps". Not turning is not an automatic death sentence for every egg.

It's been a while since I saw it but a study in Turkey with chicken eggs clearly showed that not turning does decrease your hatch rate. Hatch rates did not drop anywhere close to your numbers but it was a real drop. How often they were turned made a difference too, but not much. Those were not dry hatches either.

Did you notice any unhatched chicks stuck to the inside of the shell? It's possible the chick that lived a few days had some type of birth defect due to where the organs formed or how the internal plumbing was hooked up. I don't know if not turning had anything to do with that.

It was an interesting experiment. Looks like you got three healthy chicks out of it.

Back
Top Bottom