Dry hatch no turn

Gigachad poultry

Rest in peace Eda ~ 2018-2024
Premium Feather Member
Dec 24, 2022
Vicenza IT
So I had an Idea, basically I was bored trying to think of something to do and I thought 🤔 "hmm do you actually need to turn the eggs and if so could you also do a dry hatch" even though I'd already tried no turn and it was about an 80% hatch rate about a year ago. So I thought up a plan and only 12 days ago I started a incubation run, were I did a no turn dry hatch just to see if anything would develop and I had about 55 or so quail eggs which I then threw into an incubator. Now today I've come to a tiny and adorable little surprise. Meet the newest addition to my flock

Steven "yes named after the seagull with a rather rude way of talking"
PXL_20230627_060131797.jpg

I will also be giving this thread daily updates and yes with photos.

Update, so Steven my early hatched quail chick got a bit bigger and is much more fluffy. I think he's a Rosetta color like his dad. What would you say? The one remaining chicken egg is developing good and is definitely moving. The 15 remaining coturnix eggs are all doing good and are developing as they should be. All the eggs including the chicken egg are on day 13 and are doing as they should. I'm hoping to see some chicks in 2 or 3 days and the chicken egg in 6 or do days.

I got some photos of the eggs
when I candled them
PXL_20230628_120209668.MP.jpg
PXL_20230628_120240177.jpg
PXL_20230628_120331713.jpg

Update, so existing news and really sad news. Now the quail eggs and chicken egg are on day 14 and exitingly I've seen some of the quail eggs are wiggling and moving, and I hope to see some babies tomorrow! As for the sad news, sadly Steven died this morning of unknown causes. May he rest on peace 🪦

So, Im really sorry I had forgotten about Friday's update, but man do I have some awesome new! So I was doing some egg checks by just looking through the window in the incubator and I decided to go and put a safety hole in about half the batch to see if the might help them as they are on day 17 and I'm a lil worried. And the first egg I grab to give a safety hole was pipped!!! I literally yelled "YESSS" and put it back I only found three more pippied, and put safety holes in a few more and now I'm not going to open the incubator anymore as I don't want to shrink wrap them. I'll update the second I see a chick hatch!

Last edited:
Update!!! I actually just got this little guy out the incubator just a bit ago but one finally hatched. There was two other chicks trying to hatch and I might need to assist them if they go to long without progress. I actually see one other little egg that is pipped only an hour or so ago!
PXL_20230702_110324063.MP.jpg
PXL_20230702_110334002.jpg

I sadly lost over 5 of the viable eggs as for some reason they over half died of seemingly no reason but the other half died from them breaking larger veins while zipping. I now only have four more chicks. And one is acting rather weird. He or she is all fluffy and seeming to be okay, but it won't stay out of the hatching position and bad it's eye mainly closed. Any ideas on why?

So update I now only have 3 chicks from that whole hatch. @Mallards and Quail thank you so much for being the only other person to look at and be a part of my hatch along! I hope my quail chicks that didn't make it love the rest of eternity amongst the angels and are loved up there forever.

Back
Top Bottom