Dry hatching

PaigeSullivan

Hatching
Apr 10, 2024
I’m on my second hatching and I’ve just recently found out about dry hatching. The first set I hatched didn’t do so well so I’m wanting to try something different this time. My second batch are already in the incubator for 4 days now so I’m needing to know if it will harm them if I start the dry hatching now after the humidity has already been high for a few days.

I'm sold on dry hatching! My hatch rates on my turkeys and chickens went up with the dry method. I am currently attempting duck eggs I bought for my friend's son. I shoot for humidity between 30-35%. I add water because if I don't my humidity is like 10-15%.

I’m going to give it a try! I have over 70 eggs in the incubator so I’m really hoping for a high hatch rate this go around!

If I do dry hatch my humidity sometimes drops to 10%. Is that OK or should I add water 'till it goes up to 25 - 30%? I'm planning to hatch chickens, not ducks.

10% is a little low. It would depend how long it stays that low. You could keep an eye on the air cells and egg weight to see if 10% is too low. A lot of people when dry hatching don't have to regulate humidity as it naturally stays in the 15-30% range. If you are below that range you can add water to get into range. If you are above the range without adding water I wouldn't worry too much unless you are having chicks drown, then I would find a way to dehumidify the air.

10% is a little low. It would depend how long it stays that low. You could keep an eye on the air cells and egg weight to see if 10% is too low. A lot of people when dry hatching don't have to regulate humidity as it naturally stays in the 15-30% range. If you are below that range you can add water to get into range. If you are above the range without adding water I wouldn't worry too much unless you are having chicks drown, then I would find a way to dehumidify the air.
x2

Back
Top Bottom