Dry incubation humidity question

Quote:
Well I dont have any plugs in now. Should I put one in? I have no fan. So do I lay the towel under the metall mesh or under the eggs? Should the towel be soaking wet or just damp? It would need to be a thin towel I would assume in order for the wire mesh to fit nack in right?

I wad the wet towels up and put them in a corner away from the eggs or fold them and put them to one side with the eggs in the center on the wire mesh.

But I make sure there are at least 4 towels, or 4 something that can hold water in each corner and yes I make them soaking wet.

It can be even a maxi pad , or sock length just anything and wad or fold it up and place in the corner
smile.png
no one judges on style .....

Some people use liners so the chicks will have something soft to stand on, but i don't bother with that.

I would put 1 plug back in it dont matter which one it is.

Okay so when you say corners....You mean on top of the wire right? So maybe take 4 wash cloths and soak them and place them in each corner of the incubator on top of the wire mesh and have all the eggs in the center on day 18 when I remove the turner. Do I have this right?

Quote:
So what do you suggest? I need to know how to increase the water if adding water to the bottom doesnt suffice. I mean if its "Lock Down" how will I get those wet rags out anyway to wet them again?

I just had 6 hatches of 42 in each hatch perfectly fine at 70 % humidity.

I am hatching standard size chicks not bantams.

Yes on top of the wire mesh put the rags.

Last edited:
Once you lock down do not open the incubator, Get a straw and put water in your mouth and spit it down the straw onto the rag if you need to up the humidity.

Quote:
So what do you suggest? I need to know how to increase the water if adding water to the bottom doesnt suffice. I mean if its "Lock Down" how will I get those wet rags out anyway to wet them again?

The first thing I want you to realize is that I live in a very dry climate and I wind up with dry hatches if I want them or not. I usually shoot for 50% and wind up at around 35%. Hatching ducks here is a real crap shoot because I can never get the humidity high enough.

I have it really dry here also, during Day 1 - 17 I do not add any water i do a dry incubation, then on day 18 I add as much as I can.

I have tried the 60 - 65 % and my chicks get stuck, so for me in the LG incubator it works best with the 70% humidity.

It hasn't failed me at all and I haven't lost one to drowning.

I have never tried hatching ducks yet ! But one day maybe I will.

I am not in a dry climate but dry wood heat in the early spring makes it seem dry. My last two hatches ran under 20% during the first 18 days. I try for 70% for the hatching and have to use sopping wet cloths to get over 65%. DH made us a hatcher from a cooler and if the humidity goes sky high from hatching I dare a quick grab to remove feisty hatchlings, but I definitely watch to keep it at least 70%.

Quote:
How on earth will I get a straw to the corners of the incubator? I guess I will figure it out. I live in the east coast so we are not dry. We have a lot of humidity in the summer. Sadly it is not summer now and one day it will be 70 out and the next it will snow. I will try to keep it as close to 70% as possible. I still have a couple weeks yet.

Thanks so much. Its raining here and my meter has jumped to 45%

Back
Top Bottom