Dry incubation humidity question

artathart

Songster
8 Years
Mar 31, 2011
I am attempting a dry incubation. I have had a steady reading of 35-37% over the past 5 days. It got really hot today and my humidity went down to 30%. I just want to make sure thats not to low and know what number is too low so I can add water if needed.

Yeeeessss....but doesn't that defeat the point of dry incubation?
wink.png

It is so dry here, I end up diong "dry incubation" whether I want to or not. I have had plenty of shrink-wrapped chicks, so I would say yes, add water if you need to.

I'm attempting a dry incubation too. I am aiming for 35% humidity (although mine dropped to 20% one night!). I plan on 70% for lockdown.

Keep in mind, that this is my very first hatch, and I don't know what I am doing!

After all I have read on here, those were the numbers I decided to go with.

I think i will just leave it alone unless I drop below 30.......
fl.gif

Last edited:
Mine have dropped down to the 20's and still hatched just fine as long as when you reach day 18 you make sure you boost it up to 70% you will have a great hatch
smile.png

Quote:
In order to reach 70% I just want to fill all water slots in the bottom and put both plugs in correct?

Quote:
In order to reach 70% I just want to fill all water slots in the bottom and put both plugs in correct?

you fill the wells , and also wet towels, anything you can get in there.

Other wise you will sit at 65 and not be able to get any higher.

Do you have a fan in your incubator if you don't have a fan only open 1 red plug. If you have a fan open them both .

Quote:

Do you have a fan in your incubator if you don't have a fan only open 1 red plug. If you have a fan open them both .

Well I dont have any plugs in now. Should I put one in? I have no fan. So do I lay the towel under the metall mesh or under the eggs? Should the towel be soaking wet or just damp? It would need to be a thin towel I would assume in order for the wire mesh to fit nack in right?

Quote:

Well I dont have any plugs in now. Should I put one in? I have no fan. So do I lay the towel under the metall mesh or under the eggs? Should the towel be soaking wet or just damp? It would need to be a thin towel I would assume in order for the wire mesh to fit nack in right?

I wad the wet towels up and put them in a corner away from the eggs or fold them and put them to one side with the eggs in the center on the wire mesh.

But I make sure there are at least 4 towels, or 4 something that can hold water in each corner and yes I make them soaking wet.

It can be even a maxi pad , or sock length just anything and wad or fold it up and place in the corner
smile.png
no one judges on style .....

Some people use liners so the chicks will have something soft to stand on, but i don't bother with that.

I would put 1 plug back in it dont matter which one it is.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom