Dry incubation question on humidity --day 8

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lazyoranch, Oct 3, 2010.

1. lazyoranch

lazyoranch Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    Pleasant Hill
    I am on day 8 and am doing a dry incubation. My humidity was hovering between 30-35%. Today it is 25%. Is that too low? Thanks in advance.

2. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    Quote:I never add water until mine gets to 20%. Last hatch was 14/16.[​IMG]

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Ive ran it at 15%..... your good

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have never heard of dry incubation. Do you add water at day 18 then, OP? I have some eggs in the bator right now. Why are you doing a dry incubation? (Please pardon my ignorance.)

[​IMG]

5. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I usually let it dry out to about 25 before bringing it back up to about 45-50, and then let it dry out again. My last two hatches have been 23 out of 24. Different places will have different methods that work the best.

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Quote:You basically only worry about humidity the last 3 days. Run it dry the first 18 days. An about 70% the last 3.

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:You basically only worry about humidity the last 3 days. Run it dry the first 18 days. An about 70% the last 3.

Thanks!

8. Liexicof15

Liexicof15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Tampa
    I've been trying that this time, but since I'm in florida, mine never goes below 30%.... so I've been letting it stay like that over night, then adding more water to make it up to 45-50%. Is this okay?

9. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:Yes, this is fine. Yours and my areas have similar climate and elevation, and that's kind of what i do, but it takes a few days for it to get down that low after i bring the humidity up to 50.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by