Dry Incubation vs. Humidity?

stitch81

Chirping
8 Years
May 23, 2011
I've read several topics regarding humidity in the incubator, and what the proper levels are. Then today, I came across a poster who stated that they use the dry incubation method. I'm currently running a test of my homemade incubator, (our humidity level is around 55% just in the house, so thus far I haven't added water for the test) making sure the light of choice, fan of choice etc, provides ideal conditions for hatching eggs. Just wondering if I could get more info on the dry incubation method and why that seems to work when I keep hearing about having to be careful that the chicks aren't too dry...

Thanks for the info!

Last edited:
i go on lock down today.. i incubated day 1-18 with the humidity ranging from 20-35% but i tried to keep it at 25% and it would stay there the most btw... i used a small little dixie cup for the water... that's it... right now, i'm going to use a little quart tub with a sponge and try to raise my humidity to 55-60%... this is going to be my first dry hatch... my other two weren't as dry they were at 40% days 1-18...

honestly, i need more info on it too. im doing it right now, its my first time, but i've heard that a thing called "shrink-wrapping" is caused by too little humidity during incubation, yet i head a bunch of people saying that dry incubation works perfectly!! im confused there...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=491013

The
above guide is the best thing I can find to explain why low humidity during the first part of incubation is important.
It explains what happens to the chick in a high humidity enviroment and how to ensure the best chances of a sucessful hatch.
The chick becoming stuck from low humidity isnt an issue until after external pipping when the egg membranes are exposed.
Good luck to you all and welcome to the addictive world of incubation.
Once you start its hard to stop.
lol.png

Edited for bad spelling....sorry up late with hatching geese.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom