dry incubation

well day 24, we gave up hope, we opened the eggs and it looks like they stopped growing a few days ago,
1f61e.png
, never mind,, I've cleans the bator out and going to try again, do it make any difference if the egg is on its side throughout incubation ? our eggs fit in the egg holder lovely on their sides, will it work?

well day 24, we gave up hope, we opened the eggs and it looks like they stopped growing a few days ago,
1f61e.png
, never mind,, I've cleans the bator out and going to try again, do it make any difference if the egg is on its side throughout incubation ? our eggs fit in the egg holder lovely on their sides, will it work?
I have my eggs on the side throughout incubation, it's the natural position, but I hand turn. By "egg holder" are you talking about the turner?

sorry yes I mean egg turner, would you get better hatch rate with the eggs being on there side as its the natural way or does it make no difference if the egg is up right or sideways?
263a.png

sorry yes I mean egg turner, would you get better hatch rate with the eggs being on there side as its the natural way or does it make no difference if the egg is up right or sideways?
263a.png
If it's an egg turner than is made for upright positioning, then they should be positioned upright as laying down is not going to turn them properly. Some bators the turners are made so they do lay down and it "rolls" them.
I started with an automatic turner (upright) and switched to hand turning. I had good rates with the turner, but my rates went up even more when I stopped using the turner and started hand turning.

ok thanks Amy I will try again but hand turn them 3 times a day
1f600.png
, what would happen if I was to keep the humidity the same throughout the full incubation period? x

ok thanks Amy I will try again but hand turn them 3 times a day
1f600.png
, what would happen if I was to keep the humidity the same throughout the full incubation period? x
Depends on what you are using for humidity. If you have it high then the eggs won't loose enough moisture and you'll end up with chicks drowning most likely. If it's low, you'll have good moisture loss but at hatch time you are looking at possible complications during the hatch, possibly chicks getting stuck in the eggs due to dry membranes. This explains it more: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity

Depends on what you are using for humidity. If you have it high then the eggs won't loose enough moisture and you'll end up with chicks drowning most likely. If it's low, you'll have good moisture loss but at hatch time you are looking at possible complications during the hatch, possibly chicks getting stuck in the eggs due to dry membranes. This explains it more: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for that link!!! It supported things I have discovered the hard way with hatching.

Forgot to add, so sorry for the failed hatch Emma but at least you have a plan for next time.

Back
Top Bottom