Dry Stall vs Stall Dry

Grammahen

Songster
12 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Southern New Hampshire
I wanted to buy Stall Dry which I believe is a mixture of DE and clay but instead, bought Dry Stall which is volcanic aggregate. Dry Stall (volcanic aggregate) looks like small tiny crushed rocks and thinking it was the same thing, I added it to the sand in my run. I really wanted to use it to control odor and flies in my run.

It is not the same. Can I now add Stall Dry? What would happen if I mixed it? Should I remove the Dry Stall? What about composting later in vegetable gardens. Is it safe?

Hmmm...good question. I used Sweet PDZ (similar to Stall Dry) and DE in the coop but just DE (food grade) in the run. I am not sure if the Stall dry is compostable. Does it mention anything on the packaging?

I am not sure if the Stall dry is compostable

Stall Dry which I believe is a mixture of DE and clay

(Dry Stall)
looks like small tiny crushed rocks

Rocks won't compost.

DE won't compost either

I'd just add some pelletized lime for the odor control and see how it works out.

You don't have to spend a fortune just to keep the coop dry​

Last edited:
Just different versions of the same basic thing. It won't hurt to mix them. And yes, it is safe for compost and gardens.

Quote:
So sorry to hear about the mistake. I've done similar things before! Sooooo frustrating.
I'd just throw some Stall Dry on top of the whole mess, throw some scratch in, and let the chickens mix
smile.png

Im a new chicken owner, and owner of Dry Stall. I have 11 big girls, and 10 little girls, two turned into roosters to my surprise. When I first invented Dry Stall it was geared for horses only, now i have 21 chickens and 4 goats and Dry Stall is all I use. I don't know what it is with age, but its all about my chickens now. Ive been marketing Dry Stall since 1983. Use it in a chicken coop? Had no idea how good this stuff was. Boy was I missing the boat. Its the greatest stuff in a chicken coop. My own product, and I didn't know how good it was until I owned chickens. Buy yourself a cat scooper, build a compost bin, and your on your way.

Back
Top Bottom