Drying lavender-what's the best way?

trilyn

Songster
10 Years
Apr 13, 2009
East Syracuse
I have tons of lavender plants, absolutely love them! I was just curious-what's the best way to dry them. I usually just hang them upside down in bunches and it seems to work okay. Is there another way? Also, what are some of the uses you guys use for lavender?

No, that is exactly what I do with it!
thumbsup.gif
You know you can make a wonderful cooking herb mixture called Herbs de Provence that is delicious!

Here is a recipe for it:

• 1/4 cup thyme leaves
• 1/4 cup savory leaves
• 3 tablespoons basil leaves
• 2 tablespoons crushed bay leaves
• 2 tablespoons crushed rosemary leaves
• 1 tablespoon crushed lavender flowers

1. Mix the whole leaves together and store in an airtight jar in a cool, dark place.

2. Just before using, crush to a fine powder and add to foods.

You can also add it to sugar or honey and infuse them, also.

Shelly

Shelly, thanks for the recipe-I love to cook! I've bought the stuff in the jar, but homemade is way cooler! Thank you!!
big_smile.png
This would be a neat thing to put into my gift baskets too. A pretty glass jar to show off all the herbs inside, a cute gingham lid cover, labels and recipe ideas....hmmmm

Trish

Quote:
Ooooh! And I get one for suggesting it, right???
lol.png
I
love.gif
fresh lavender! There are so many things to do with it! You could also hot glue a sprig of lavender on the top of the jar!
wink.png

Shelly

Quote:
Ooooh! And I get one for suggesting it, right???
lol.png
I
love.gif
fresh lavender! There are so many things to do with it! You could also hot glue a sprig of lavender on the top of the jar!
wink.png

Shelly

Well, yeah of course!
big_smile.png
I love the sprig on top of the jar!! I love it too, I think I've got about 30 feet of it planted in front of my house and then some along my walkway. It's just so pretty and the smell is incredible! Thanks for replying!! If you want a couple sachets when I dry them out-let me know!!

Ooooh lucky girl! I was so mad because I never got to put a garden in this year!!
somad.gif
I was hoping to be able to plant stuff for the chickens as well as my dh and I. Oh well, there's always next year-I did tell all my friends that I wanted their leftovers!! Congrats on the rosemary and squash!

I like to use my dehydrator for drying lavender (and all my herbs I don't use fresh).

I used to hang to dry, but they get pretty dusty that way. We don't have AC, so windows are open and the dust from the fields is always blowing in.

If you put them in a paper bag when you hang them, it will keep them from getting dusty, but still lets them have air movement so they won't mold.
wink.png

Shelly

The herb mixture sounds yummy! I have two huge lavender plants along my front walk way and also have two lavender plants , one each in pots outside salon doors. I absolutely LOVE watching the huge bumble bees collecting the pollen from them! I have several various herbs planted. I had to trim back my rosemary bush by my front door as it was taking over. I too dry dry springs and use them in cooking and baths and even in the herbal pedicures at the shop. oh.. I have a recipe to put on here, but I need to ask my daughter for it. It is a bath soak salt mixture.. baking soda, Borax and salt.... very nice and scents can be added. I need to make more anyway, we use it at the shop too.

Back
Top Bottom