dual breeds, anything to do to help?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by what was i thinking, Apr 27, 2009.

1. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    i have a bunch of roos i hatched this winter/spring, some going on three months.... what can i do to "plump" them up a little or something? i would like to have them processed in the next two weeks or so. these are slw, white rock, bo, ba, sexlinks,hens with rir and sf roos... also a maran or two in there
    1. should i put them in a pen or let them continue to free range?
    i just bought a kennel to keep them in.
    2. what should i be feeding them?
    corn, grower/ starter mash.... something else?
    3. i should have them done soon.... right? up to 4 months?
    my dh says they don't need much because it is only the two of us, but if you ask me there isn't much on them. not like if you were comparing them to the bo or white rock... 9 month old girls... lol

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    You just can't compare them to the cornish x you raise or buy at the store. Process them at the right age and the meat will be better regardless of their size. Corn just throws the fat on them. High protein should help build the muscle. But free rangin definitely can affect the taste so I would put them up till its time and give them free feed grower with maybe a little corn treats.

3. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    Yeah I think all you can do is confine them to limit their exercise and feed them high protein feed.

You are better off butchering them skinny than letting them get too old and tough.

4. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    thanks for your help guys, pretty much what i thought. thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by