Dual Purpose AFTER Laying?

Northern dumplings are made with milk, flour, and baking powder -- like a damper version of biscuit dough. You don't drop them into the broth, you drop them onto the meat/vegetables in your stew so that they don't sink, get soggy, and disintegrate.

I have no clue if my dumplings are northern, southern, or what: they are whatever was in my Mom's "Joy of Cooking" cookbook. But they have flour, baking powder, salt, egg, and milk. You scoop the dough with a spoon and drop it into the broth. They get soggy outsides and dry insides. And that's they way dumplings are "supposed" to taste (to me.)

Sorry about the Sausage recipe being small. my blog kind of does that some times. Here is a screen shot showing the recipe and fat percentages. I normally like 30% fat in pork and venison sausages but fowl sausage was not bad a 20%. Also NFDM is Non-Fat Dry Milk for anyone not used to these and use as a moisture holding binder.

People always worry about tough meat on old birds. Nothing tough after going through the grinder!! :D

I have fat calculator in excel if anyone has a use for sausage making.

Attachments

• Turkey Sausage_recipe (Large).JPG
    Turkey Sausage_recipe (Large).JPG
    308.7 KB · Views: 4
So you have a grinder? You can buy some pig fat and some sausage casings and this works for me. I used cheap thanksgiving turkeys left over in the store for Turkey sausage and this would work great on old hens.

turkey-sausage_4-large.jpg
For those of you making sausage. Can you substitute beef fat for the pork? I have a 1/2 beef coming and was told there would be some extra fat included.

I do not see why not and it is worth a try. I cut venison with beef and beef fat for Summer sausage and snack sticks and use pork and pork fat to make sausages. But I think 20% fat of either will cut the chicken just fine.

Keep the meat and grinder head cold. Par-freezing the meat with out making it frozen. Too frozen and it pushes through instead of grinding and mixing. Mix all the spices on the meat cubes and fat before grinding makes life easier and most times no mixing after a second grind.

Here is my Fat Calculator in excel. I use Excel (LibreOffice now) for all my recipes. I just add it next to the recipe so i know the Fat content of what I am making. It is important for sausages as dry sausages makes it harder to taste the spices. I like 25 - 30% for pork/deer and some of the stuff you buy in the store is 40% or more, but they cannot exceed 50% legally. 20% is not bad for poultry sausage and it clumps a bit more than pork does. This turkey recipe is one of my daughters favorites.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom