Dual purpose breed choice

BTW, it's a misnomer that Deleware were the meat breed of their day. They were born of the meat industry but not used in it. The large framed Barred Plymouth was crossed with the faster fleshing New Hampshire to make broilers for the meat industry. This cross results in white sports now and then. Those sports were taken and bred to make the Deleware breed. It was not used nor would it compare with the hybrid vigor of Plymouth/Hamshire the meat industry was producing. Broilers from dual purpose birds are culled at 12 weeks of age.

Deleware if bred to standard and utility are exactly the same as New Hamshire but different feathers. The problem with them is the rarity today of a quality standard bred line.

Last edited:
You should think more on your goals and needs before choosing a breed. Many are good and there are many variations to consider.

I fully agree and that is what I am trying to figuring now.

I think I want a heritage breed that is dual purpose and a good forager. The primary purpose would be a layer more than a meat bird. Of the good laying breeds, if there is one that grows faster and fills in sooner that would be better. No reason to tend a second flock longer than necessary.

Raising chicks and selling them locally sounds like it would be rewarding, but it also might be more work than it is worth to me. I'll have to find that out.

Quick search of your area and Faverolle are available. I know they seem a fancy breed but if that person has good stock it's a utility bird that lays in winter. They lay just under 200 per year, medium compact carcass with fast fleshing. Then you've got Bielfelder near you too. And there are more to consider. Take your time, ask questions of breeders, get photos and really think about the birds and your goals.

@Egghead_Jr

Can you share what resources you used to find that Faveroles are available near me? I would like to see what else is within a reasonable drive from me from breeders.

Thank you,
-pg

https://eauclaire.craigslist.org/atq/d/fall-creek-salmon-faverolle-chicks/7585245995.html

This is the one I find today. Thought when I looked last time there was a place near IL border? Dunno. Never saved the previous link. I'll look at the NPIP registry in your area...

BURCH, LYNN ,N991 WINDWOOD DR. NESHKORO, WI 54960

VERGERONT, KATHRYN AND HENRY ,W4041 COUNTY ROAD N SHEBOYGAN FALLS, WI 53085

WATSON, JESSICA ,N6592 COUNTY ROAD F OCONOMOWOC, WI 53066

WAVRUNEK, SAMUEL ,17929 COUNTY ROAD Q DENMARK, WI 54208

That's all NPIP participants in WI with Salmon Faverolle. Poultry code R71.

Last edited:
To attempt to contact people, some of whom are breeders and others hatchery type. You know by how many breeds they have. I'd not purchase anything from someone with more than 4 or 5 poultry types.

https://www.poultryimprovement.org/statesContent.cfm

Above is a link to NPIP by state. Click your state or one near you.

Know the breed code, google search "NPIP code (breed)". If using google or chrome your find function is in the three dots on tool bar top right of screen. Click find, type the breed code in search function. Every place that breed is listed in the NPIP list in your state will highlight. Each person made public their address and name and some even provide a phone number.

To attempt to contact people, some of whom are breeders and others hatchery type. You know by how many breeds they have. I'd not purchase anything from someone with more than 4 or 5 poultry types.

https://www.poultryimprovement.org/statesContent.cfm

Above is a link to NPIP by state. Click your state or one near you.

Know the breed code, google search "NPIP code (breed)". If using google or chrome your find function is in the three dots on tool bar top right of screen. Click find, type the breed code in search function. Every place that breed is listed in the NPIP list in your state will highlight. Each person made public their address and name and some even provide a phone number.
Thank you so much for this information!

Bielfelder don't lay 300 eggs per year. Though they do lay over 200 which is like New Hampshire and excellent for dual purpose birds.

You should think more on your goals and needs before choosing a breed. Many are good and there are many variations to consider. For instance winter laying. That's important if you want eggs all year round. Cost of feed and size of birds is a consideration with rising feed costs. To maintain a large body the birds consume more food. Medium sized dual purpose birds may be more attractive to you if planning to keep many birds.

People have been asking and hatcheries are finally making available meatier non standard birds like the aforementioned Knoll New Hampshire and that meatier Delaware. These are good options if you want sustainable meat. No doubt about it.

Personally I'm a sucker for standard bred birds. I think people can search somewhat locally, within a day drive, and find several options of good stock to obtain. Quick search of your area and Faverolle are available. I know they seem a fancy breed but if that person has good stock it's a utility bird that lays in winter. They lay just under 200 per year, medium compact carcass with fast fleshing. Then you've got Bielfelder near you too. And there are more to consider. Take your time, ask questions of breeders, get photos and really think about the birds and your goals.

A flock of quality standard bred birds have a majesty of their own. And many still have utility value. Early fleshing, not confused with early growth, is a great quality for culling excess cockerels for the freezer. Winter laying has become more important to me as we are eating store bought eggs currently.
Being new to the "hobby" and forum, this sounds like really good advice. I can see right now that it would be easy to get wayyyy too many chickens. I'm liking rabbits for meat better than chickens right now. Would love your opinion on what a RIR rooster and Buff Orp hens will produce....

Would love your opinion on what a RIR rooster and Buff Orp hens will produce....
An orangy feathered chicken, somewhere between yellow and red.

The quality will depend on the quality of the parents. The egg laying ability of the pullets will probably be fairly good assuming they are hatchery chickens. The rooster doesn't lay eggs so you don't know what he contributes to the genetics of egg laying. If you know how his mother and grandmothers layed he'd contribute something in that range. As far as size and early maturity again average his parents.

I'd expect a dual purpose chicken that inherits traits from both parents.

Check out the offerings from Freedom Ranger Hatchery. I've heard good things about the New Hampshire strain they sell (meat and eggs), and also they have some other breeds that might be of interest to you.

NH from other hatcheries that I've looked into have been less meaty than folks wanted, and not so egg laying either. I've been looking for a good dual purpose bird as well - it really does matter where you get them from.

Back
Top Bottom