dual purpose ducks

BrothersBirds

Chirping
Feb 23, 2021
Hamilton, ON
Does anybody have any clue what breed of duck is the best dual purpose duck? Hoping to go to only 3 or 4 breeds of duck but don't know what breed to go to.
Wondering whether anybody has any information. Any would be great.

The photos are of 2020 hatched ducks.

Attachments

• IMG_5532.jpg
    IMG_5532.jpg
    703.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
What purposes do you want them for? Assuming egg laying and meat? Or meat, pets, eggs, breeding/selling, etc.?
Pekin ducks are great for dual purpose. They are large and great for meat, and lay 200-300 large eggs a year. They also make good pets, and are very sweet.

I would like them for meat and eggs. Kind of for pets, but mainly eggs and meat.
I know I will be keeping muscovys. I have heard good things about pekins and harlequins.

Last edited:
I do believe muscovys are a good dual purpose duck... I myself have never ate one though .
Muscovy's are great ducks. They lay large rich eggs (and possibly the heaviest and thickest eggs). They are very hardy and they gain weight at a reasonable pace. They are very tasty.
Yes! Muscovys really are great!!!

Muscovy's are great ducks. They lay large rich eggs (and possibly the heaviest and thickest eggs). They are very hardy and they gain weight at a reasonable pace. They are very tasty.
Yes! Muscovys really are great!!!
I know the eggs are perfect for baked goods just personally have never had duck meat lol
I probably should have ate the Drake I had after he attacked my kiddo but I just rehomed him.

Only down side about pekin is they have a lot of leg issues you don't find as much in the other large breeds. You may want to consider the other two large breed ducks, Saxony and appleyards. Saxony are slow growers though, but supposedly taste good, but not as good egg layers. Don't know very much about appleyards, but I have heard they are good layers.

If you are looking for eggs, meat, and pets the Ancona duck is good. I have not eaten one but I have read the are amazing dual purpos ducks.

Back
Top Bottom