Dual purpose feed??

I free feed a 16% grower mash, with 1/4 parts 20% gamebird grower, shell grit on the side. I'm considering doing she same as the poster above now that more of my birds are laying and adding in 1/4 layer pellets, on the theory that each bird will pick through for what they need.

I use a 20% gamebird feed as well, my local feed store also has a 20% meatbuilder that's almost identical, bigger pellets. They're almost the same price so I just switch back and forth depending what's in stock.

Plus a meal a day of fermented 20% + barley, seaweed, and some scratch to make it look interesting.

I have a separate 'finishing' pen where my rude cockerels go until I have time to process them, while they're there they get only the 20% + ff. Maybe the 16% would be better? I could do that and cracked corn, go for fat instead of muscle, but I haven't tried it yet.

What do you all feed your dual purpose pullets and rooster. I want to raise some roosters for meat. Is it possible to keep them with the hens as they will be killed at 4-5 months. Just before they start to mature. Is it okay for them to eat layers pellets if im going to eat them?
Yes.
The excess calcium is detrimental to the cockerel kidneys over the long term. If you are trying to grow them the biggest the fastest, separating and feeding a higher protein feed would be better.

Layer feed is 16% protein. Flock grower is 20% and yes, it makes a difference. Different brands have different amounts of protein and these are what I use.

And expect trouble before 4-5 months. Cockerels start crowing (maturing) at 12 weeks.

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom