Dual-Purpose Flock Owners UNITE!

Subscribing! Looks like my kind of thread I am considering planting some shorgum and buckwheat this coming spring, have planted the Buckwheat before, but only to be tilled under in the garden. Our homestead is at 8200 feet, so lots of stuff will not grow here, also a very short growing season, but looking forward to growing some grains and greens for the chickens.

Subscribing! Looks like my kind of thread I am considering planting some shorgum and buckwheat this coming spring, have planted the Buckwheat before, but only to be tilled under in the garden. Our homestead is at 8200 feet, so lots of stuff will not grow here, also a very short growing season, but looking forward to growing some grains and greens for the chickens.
Every location has it 's challenges. Perhaps you will find other vegies and grains that will grow in your area; or root crops.

Getting the right birds for the job is key IMO--there are many breeds for a reason.
Sorry, I'm lost, what study?

IT not only reduces the feed bill-- it improves the quality of the product. HIgher vit A in grass fed beef was proven years ago; higher omega 3 in eggs was also proven years ago. I have a BS in ANimal Scinece and learned the commercial methods of production---I now see a better way of eating and producting meat. and eggs. Gorgeous yellow fats from eating grass, lean meats from animals NOT fattened up, thick orangey yolks. 

HOw much the feed bill is reduced is relative-- improving the land and buying seeds costs money-- it is not free.  Many times I have purchased young canes  from Millers and planted, only to see them die; yet the wild blackberries  abound. Clearly I'm doing something wrong! lol  Management is trial and error too. WE need each other to shae the how to that has been lost.

I wondered how much te feed bill was reduced by allowing your chickens to free range. I found one study that stated it was lowered only about 5%. Unfortunately, I no longer have that link to share.

That is what I was referring to.

I wondered how much te feed bill was reduced by allowing your chickens to free range. I found one study that stated it was lowered only about 5%. Unfortunately, I no longer have that link to share.

That is what I was referring to.

When I hear about what other people's feed bill is and how much they use for feeding X amount of chickens, I know that free range is cutting my feed bill down to nothing in the warmer months. In good foraging months I was feeding a cup and a half of fermented feed to 14 lg fowl and they were too fat even on that amount.

When I hear about what other people's feed bill is and how much they use for feeding X amount of chickens, I know that free range is cutting my feed bill down to nothing in the warmer months.  In good foraging months I was feeding a cup and a half of fermented feed to 14 lg fowl and they were too fat even on that amount. 

That is useful information!

I can see how much my birds eat when at this time my lawn is VERY short and my feed bill has increased too much over my summer usage.

5%-- my info doesn;t support this. Sorry.

I have also noticed if given a choice my birds hog on grainsl ike cracked corn, or whoel corn, or oats even if they have had a breakfast of pellets. Meaning they go looking for other foods inpreference to the pellets. All my plants are gone within reach of a beak.

Back
Top Bottom