Dual-Purpose Flock Owners UNITE!

Quote:
Yes, you're right. We will breed them, of course, but have no plans to sell. I have family and friends interested in eggs and chicks, and I'm happy to share. Also, I blog about my heritage breeds alot, raising awareness and getting people interested in breeds they might not have otherwise considered.

Quote:
Yes, you're right. We will breed them, of course, but have no plans to sell. I have family and friends interested in eggs and chicks, and I'm happy to share. Also, I blog about my heritage breeds alot, raising awareness and getting people interested in breeds they might not have otherwise considered.

Great.

The post wasn't directed towards you or anyone in particular. It was just something I was wondering about.

Even breeding chickens yourself instead of replenishing your stock from hatcheries or other breeders will help to continue the breed. Every little bit we do, even replenishing from hatcheries will help.

We chose Orpingtons for this reason, and Australorps (which were related once upon a time). We're hatching or buying straight runs and butchering excess roos for dinner and either selling any extra hens or butchering for meat as well.

We're pleased with our choice even though it takes them a little longer to get to a suitable size, we're at 4.5 months or so now and a couple of them could go now, but we're going to give them a bit more time.

We have so much still to learn, this is only our 1st year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Yes. I thought that would be interesting to some of the people who want to raise dual purpose birds. Also, the history listed on some of these breeds is interesting.
cool.png
big_smile.png

Quote:

I will have to check out your blog! It sounds interesting.

Soon to cull SF, BO, black sexlink, Cochin Roos

Always looking for the perfect chicken = decent layer & make a nice dinner

My dog got my Dominique’s so, I just ordered 25 SR!
I thought I would give these roos a try.
Dominique’s seem to get most of their food from foraging ((& with the price of feed going up)) maybe this is my perfect chicken?

Since we are comparing

Anybody try or have suggestions
Dominique’s?
JG

I can’t say I have found a difference in BO or Rocks someone did tell me EE taste like quail! Mine is too old to try!

I have some new Doms and my grandmother used to raise them. I find them a great dual purpose breed and I like the fact that its an old-fashioned breed, as well. Seems like all the old farmers had them when I was young.

Well, Araucanas aren't exactly the typical all-American old-fashioned barnyard birds, but our family certainly utilizes them as dual-purpose! They're good layers, we butcher & eat our extra roos... plus they're great foragers (feed bill is cut in half when they free-range) and hatch/raise their own young... I hardly ever use an incubator any more!

We are pretty dual purpose here. We culled about 25 roos this summer and have 4 left. I kept 2 Delaware Roos (because they have grown very fast for a purebreed), a BA roo, and an EE roo. We have around 20 heavy hens. We ordered 8 colored broilers and I plan on retaining a couple of them. Next spring I plan to hatch 25 or so eggs and replenish the hens and freezer. I have never raised a cornish cross.

last year I was given a trio of mutts in exchange for a bunch of ducks.... talk about love at first site. This spring I ordered chicks that were all in the dual purpose category. Sussex, Orps, Wyandottes, Blk Austs.... plus my mutts hatched out a brood of 5 chicks. My intent is to keep the austs and the wyandottes pure and intermix the rest. I'll be shooting for egg production/size and meat. I've read a few places where heretage breeds have been bred for show and have lost some of their dual purpose abilities..... at least this is the opinion of the authors. So.... I'm going to shoot at developing a flock that has gotten back to its dual purpose roots
smile.png
Some pure and some mutts.... but all from the original flock members from here on ( barring any unforseen disasters!).

Back
Top Bottom