dual purpose Heritage breeds

Medo

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 4, 2011
Up State NY (Tioga)
Hello everyone!
Would anyone be willing to offer a few opinions for me please?

I'm looking for a true Heritage strain, i really like the NH Reds, but am also searching for what would be consider the best "Dual purpose" heritage breed.

Im very much interested in egg production, but I'd like to table some as well. No simple feet I say. Dual purpose, AND a true heirloom.

Any thoughts?

Also, if you could, please recommend a breeder with your thoughts?

It gets cold up here in Upstate NY, so the breed has to be hardy, hence why I was thinking NHR's.
I look forward to everyones suggestion. also, maybe this is the proper forum thread to submit too so feel free to move it if you like Mr/MRS Admin!

Thanks very much!

Pretty much all of the old American breeds have the potential to be exactly what you're looking for. Pick one you generally like the looks of, then do some homework to find a breeder that has stock to match your needs.

Indeed, Thank you.
I've done a fair amount of research, and thats why i've pointed myself towards the NHR's.
I was just hoping somebody who has actually been in my place before me would be able to say, "ouch, been there done that, try this"

BTW, did i mention I'm also interested in heritage Hops strains?? Especially those grown in Central NY in the early 1800's? feel free to toss me any thoughts on those as well!

Please and TY~!

If I had to pick one breed right now of a true heritage breed, it would be the german line of nh's. Big enough to eat, great layers, and they look great.

I would suggest Dominiques. We have been raising them for meat and eggs for 3 years now, and are quite pleased. The one caveat with dual purpose Heritage breeds is their slow growth rate. They aren't market weight until about 14 weeks and their egg production isn't what a production strain would be, but you get both worlds with one breed. Dom's are winter hardy as well, it has been hovering arounf zero for a while now and they still want to be outside of their coop every day.

Back
Top Bottom