Dual use bird

Djcoak

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 23, 2014
We typically do layers and broilers once a year. Our layers ar a combo of Whyandotts and the broilers are red Rangers. I would like a dual purpose bird replacing 5-10 layers a year

What is a good breed for this?

I'd suggest that you look at the Breeds part of this site (just two to the left of the Forum icon) - it should help you identify ones that may be right for you.

CT

Have you tried processing any of your Wyandottes? If you're happy with them as layers, they'd be a good breed. Mine have always looked about the same size as my Rocks, etc, but when you pick them up they're heftier and the boys process out with a nicer carcass, especially in the legs and thighs.

Have you tried processing any of your Wyandottes? If you're happy with them as layers, they'd be a good breed. Mine have always looked about the same size as my Rocks, etc, but when you pick them up they're heftier and the boys process out with a nicer carcass, especially in the legs and thighs.

X2 on the Wyandottes. Also, Australorps, Orpingtons, and Brahmas make excellent dual purpose birds. All of them are good layers (Australorps are excellent layers) and have a decent amount of meat on the carcass (especially the Brahmas).

Back
Top Bottom