dubbing our chickens today

i;ve seen that website and the chickens do look better after being dubbed. if you go to the cackle hatchery, in the oeg section you'll see how there dubbed because they are show chickens

I know nothing about modern game birds. But I don't understand why it is done to them. Someone explain how it makes them better for showing.

I think it's to replact when they where used for fighting
idunno.gif

From what I understand, the modern games were bred for fighting, and dubbing their combs, wattles and earlobes were to prevent more serious injuries. The other bird would not have them to grab onto.

I read this while doing research when we got our modern game bantams for 4-H. And only the cockerels and cocks are dubbed.

I DIDNT HAVE TO DO IT.
we first cut off a top to see if i had the stomach for it
and way too much blood flowed and it took forever to get it to stop and he said i didnt have to do it . so him and one of his buddies are doing it

Dubbing...

...use the comb as a handle to manipulate the head, remove wattles and lobes, then the comb last, back to front. Get the bird in and out of your hands as quickly as possible to minimize stress. The sooner the bird settles down the sooner he will quit bleeding. I never try to get the wound to "stop" with anything, it will heal on its own just fine. Been dubbing fowl for 25+ years now and have never lost one yet. These guys can survive out in this arctic weather, so a little haircut for them is a piece of cake....

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm not sure how you can compare a haircut to cutting off a living creature's tissue. It's cruelty for the sake of vanity.

I wouldn't have anyone do something to my animals that I couldn't bear to do or see myself.

To me, it is one thing to remove frostbit tissue (a reasonable medical procedure).

It is a whole 'nother thing to choose to show a breed that some rulemakers somewhere decided must have perfectly good body parts sliced off.

If a person wants to show, there are like a hundred other breeds of chicken that can be shown whole and intact. (Dog breeds too)

Just a thought,

<sigh>

Pat - and y'all who want to chew me out for infringing on your personal freedoms, please do it by PM, not on this thread

Back
Top Bottom