Duccle bath?!

Idaloo2017

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2017
I have 4 poreclien duccles and they tend to get a little dirtier then the other chickens is it ok to give them a bath?! And if so what and how do I do so? Thank you in advance

We wash them in our laundry room sink but you could also use a couple buckets outside if it is warm. We use mane and tail shampoo but have also used kitten or Johnson’s baby shampoo. I mix the shampoo with the water and hold them in your hand to support them using your fingers to hold their legs like you do for showmanship. Then hold them in the water and use the other hand to wash them. Be very careful because sometimes they get so relaxed that their head can go under and you don't want that to happen! I’ve heard of stories of that accidentally happening and the chicken aspirated water and died!
Then you rinse them, you can use some vinegar to help get soap out you put that in the clean rinse water. Then I use the facet and hold them under to rinse good then wrap them up in a towel like a burrito. While they are like that we put a little vaseline on the comb rub it in with your fingers . Then we blow dry. On the cool setting for just a minute. Not to hot not to cold. Not to long. Keep the bird warm through out his process but not hot. Lukewarm water in a warm environment.

Back
Top Bottom