Pics
Quote:
Oh yeah, sigh, the BLRW's
love.gif
LOL...whole new thread, haahaa.

Last edited:
Quote:
hugs.gif
on the heck of a week. Had a heck of a weekend, myself...

None of my splits are old enough to be laying just yet. I'm dividing them up based on gender and foot feathering right now. Have way too many boys, so early foot feathering is a must for survival. These boys aren't worth eating, so they will be humanely culled and donated to the raptor rehab center. I've been trying not to get too attached to them for this reason, but some of the cockerals have so much personality! For me, personality is as important as other characteristics, so the friendly boys already have a slightly higher survival rate. I'm glad they're also pretty!
A couple of the pullets are little sweethearts! I'm starting to think I have sex-linked thing going on, though. So many boys are heavily mottled in the chest, and getting gold hackles and trim on the wing feathers. One even has a touch of mahogany trimming some wing feathers. But the pullets are almost completely black, with very little mottling at all, and so far none have any mottling anywhere but their chests.
I have sold off other birds and reshuffled as much as possible to try and keep as many of these as I can. I've already culled for bad flaws, so all of the splits are pretty babies. Foot feathers & thin hocks will be the next DQ from the breeding program, strictly from the cockeral pen.

My only laying birds are in the GN pen, where there is GN roo, a GN pullet, a white/cream pullet, and a lavender hen.
I don't have current pics of them, though. And no clue on fertility...

Do your blue butter boy and GN boy have the same daddy? Their combs are almost identical! Nice tight combs and wattles, but don't the combs have too many points? The porc girl is fine looking. Can't see much hock & foot feathers in most of the pics, though... The mottled blue is pretty but has a lot of white; How old is she?
The lavender motttled is hard to tell on the mottling, as you noted. She looks like a pretty girl, though!

Quote:
hugs.gif
on the heck of a week. Had a heck of a weekend, myself...

None of my splits are old enough to be laying just yet. I'm dividing them up based on gender and foot feathering right now. Have way too many boys, so early foot feathering is a must for survival. These boys aren't worth eating, so they will be humanely culled and donated to the raptor rehab center. I've been trying not to get too attached to them for this reason, but some of the cockerals have so much personality! For me, personality is as important as other characteristics, so the friendly boys already have a slightly higher survival rate. I'm glad they're also pretty!
A couple of the pullets are little sweethearts! I'm starting to think I have sex-linked thing going on, though. So many boys are heavily mottled in the chest, and getting gold hackles and trim on the wing feathers. One even has a touch of mahogany trimming some wing feathers. But the pullets are almost completely black, with very little mottling at all, and so far none have any mottling anywhere but their chests.
I have sold off other birds and reshuffled as much as possible to try and keep as many of these as I can. I've already culled for bad flaws, so all of the splits are pretty babies. Foot feathers & thin hocks will be the next DQ from the breeding program, strictly from the cockeral pen.

My only laying birds are in the GN pen, where there is GN roo, a GN pullet, a white/cream pullet, and a lavender hen.
I don't have current pics of them, though. And no clue on fertility...

Do your blue butter boy and GN boy have the same daddy? Their combs are almost identical! Nice tight combs and wattles, but don't the combs have too many points? The porc girl is fine looking. Can't see much hock & foot feathers in most of the pics, though... The mottled blue is pretty but has a lot of white; How old is she?
The lavender motttled is hard to tell on the mottling, as you noted. She looks like a pretty girl, though!

I know what you mean with the personality thing and DQ's-culling but it has to be done
hmm.png
I find myself in a daze trying to decide amoung my roos who goes and who stays. I'm also finding the same thing with 'sexlink' on roos vs pullets, interesting... No the roos are out of seperate sires and combes all have 5 points, but the back seems to be growing a lot slower in my colors vs the standars I have. These birds are all right at 4mos old so still have a lot of growing to do in the next 2mos before I do heavy cut/culling. The blue mottled gal does have a lot of white, but also hads nice bull-neck and heavy feathering on feet and great V shape, so I will probably grow her out until spring then decide for sure what to do with her. THe lavy mott gal is so hard to catch color on film (another reason I wish you lived closer
wink.png
...you could inspect in person)! I think I'll take a pic of her and a lavender pullet together so you can see the color a bit better, I hope anyway. She was an "accident" child but so unique in color I decided to keep her and see how she turns out. Wish we had a donation center here as I've got to many missfits that need rehomed as well. I just post them on CL or local stock trades. Spares them death, frees up my program
big_smile.png

Quote:
Wow. Maybe it's good that we have similar goals and programs but are so far away. We can confirm one another's findings...

The color is the same with MF roo x lav hens as it is with lav roo over mf hens. I hatched chicks half and half to see if there was a difference in feathering out and color. Color is 100% the same. Feathering seems to be different, though. The chicks from the lav roo have scruffier-looking feathers and just aren't as sleek. Their personalities aren't as sweet, either. I'm really watching the foot feathers closely, but my initial observation is that they are not as high in quailty.

That was 1/2 of my experiment: To see if the roo or the hen carried the genetics for feather quality. My lavenders had some shredding around the edges of the feathers that the MF's do NOT have. So I wil probably try and get back to the lavender color with the 1st set of chicks, from the MF roo, with the higher-quality feathers. But I will keep some from the 2nd set as a back-up.

Quote:
I've heard we have both here, but I don't have gold necks, so I don't know for sure.

If your splash gold neck had one blue mille fleur parent, then the other had to have been either a blue mille fleur or a splash gold neck - chickens can't be "split to" Andalusian blue.

The mother was a blue mille fleur and the father was visually black mille fluer who was hatched from 2 Blue Mille Fluer.

This pair was housed seperate in order to increase our number of Blue Mille Fluer

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/40058_100_1732.jpg

And the Blue Mille Fleur on the left.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/40058_p8260033.jpg

This pair was housed seperate in order to increase our number of Blue Mille Fluer

The roo in question is completing his molt and his tail is black but his foot feathering is now blue?

So I suspect that he is a blue Mille Fluer which explains the Golden Neck Hen we got.

Quote:
Henk69 would be the one to ask about the genetics of any birds. I haven't learnt the language yet but I'm slowly getting there...sometimes I even understand what he's saying.
tongue.png

Quote:
Hello Henk,
While I'm not usually one to just step up to "the big plate" and shout, I wonder if you would please bare with me a moment, all of you? I intend no harm or disrespect to anyone with my followng statements...I think most of you know better by now. So, with that said, this thread (to me) has been an interesting sort of gift by each of our trials and errors, not what I consider Litany. I'm sure we all have various goals and/or an 'end result' in mind. Be it new colors or 1914 stock
big_smile.png
As breeders the first goal should ultimately be Consistancy, Preservation & Quality. This has been MY experience... There arent that many SERIOUS D'uccle breeders out there, period! My area is nothing more than a "gud ole boy, trying to urn a buk". For me to improve quality in general, I need (and you must also) be able to Deversify (SP??) otherwise you are promoting more genetic issues or prohibiting the growth of a phenominal breed by bottlenecking lines/genetics. You choose, which is the lesser evil, Equal is what I say??? In order to diversify (SP?? again) we seek outside genetics to soothe the pool, OR we use our best of the best and trudge forward. Either way end result leads to new color variations and new genetic information *Which in MY opinion is the golden key 2 progress. Americans have "limited resorces" with D'uccles compaired to several fellow countries, and that's a huge stumbeling block to me and IMO. "Education and Learning". Please dont rip my tongue out, but,... if you are working toward a goal of improvement, practicing good ethic and are sincere in your program...then sure, I think this is a perfectly great thread that should be at the top for a Sticky!! It's not just D'uccles, it's every breed *You Create*. Off my soapbox, hopped in my camo suite and headed to the "cave"!!
hide.gif
Really though, Thank you Henk for all the valuable info...I admire your knowledge & wisdom

In Light,
Misty <---has BB gun & rubber bullets, will protect....uummm m-my BIRDS
hu.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom