d'Uccle color genetics

Pics
Quote:
If I understand you correctly, it is a problem caused by or related to the lavender gene.

Sonora, Isn't this close or similar to the same gene (in the lavenders) which causes/prevents little or no beards in the roo's?? I've noticed it in my own birds, the lavy boys have a tendance to have smaller beards and "somewhat" larger wattles. Am I correct with this assumption?
hu.gif
However if crossed w/different color, the issue isn't a 'visual issue' and results in bearded offspring...
hide.gif

I'm not aware of any linkage between beards and lavender. Maybe Henk would know, or Chris09 or Blackdotte. Beards do cause smaller wattles.

Quote:
I asked Henk about this same thing a long time ago and it is not a worthwhile project to "create" the porcelain gene its' self. I can't remember what the % of crosses were of what and how many offspring you would have to sift through before you even stood a chance of coming up with a porcelain, but you would be creating so many trash birds, it didn't seem very thrifty. I would think however IF you were going to try for a porcelain in cochins, you might try by introducing the porcelain gene by breeding a d'Uccle to a cochin. Humm.........????????even at that I think you would lose your porcelain when you breed back. Porcelain is a touchy gene, you can only get it if you breed a porcelain to a porcelain.........I think. I'm pretty sure.......but you better double check with Henk or David to be certain. You can check the calculator, but I think it will show that if you breed a porcelain to anything else you will get only the "anything else." Then if you breed your "anything else" back to porcelain you still get the "anything else."
Was that as clear as mud?
"Anything else" was code for "any other color."

Last edited:
You might want to read back in this thread. I think Henk's formula for the porcelain gene is in here following my question.
Now I'm curious, I'm going back and see if I can find it.

OK! I found it!! Yippee!! It's on page 3 at the very bottom. Be sure that when you look at the calculators crosses, you see that it is the second generation before there is any chance of a porcelain and then it is only:
0.19531% Pullets lavender patterned porcelain
0.58594% Cockerels lavender patterned porcelain
I believe you would have to have one hundred or better chicks, in the SECOND generation, before you'd see a porcelain, that's a LOT of trash. Please correct me if my math is wrong because it may well be, I just know it's a lot of junk chickens.
I don't like breeding trash if I can help it.

Back
Top Bottom