D'Uccle feathering

Ravyn

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 5, 2009
SW Missouri
Hi everyone, I'm mostly a lurker on BYC, but I have a question I can't find the answer to. I recently bought 1 roo and 3 hens(Porcelain D'Uccles) My roo has a great beard on him, but my hens don't. They are barely 1yr old and they seem to be bald with tiny pin feathers emerging on their chins/neck. I have read that D'Uccles are slow to mature. Why do my D'Uccle hen have no beard. Could they be close to molting time or does it take a while to develop a beard? They were hatched July of last year. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about.

picture.php

Thank You!

Can be feather picking or mites.I have Salmon Faverolles roo and after he drinks water hens start pulling his wet beard.Now he looks like your hens.But also can be molting,at 1 y they can start it

My roo was bald all around his neck when I got him with tiny pin feathers. I thought he had mites but, was molting. He molted on his face first, then tail feathers. For whatever reason it took about 2 months for his face feathers to fill back out.

Some of the hens I had were more bearded than others. Check for mites and picking for sure.

Good luck.

My d'uccles plucked each others beards off this winter when they were bored. They grew back just fine. Check for mites. If there are pin feathers it sounds like they are already growing back in.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to go ahead and dust them for mites. I've been watching them and haven't noticed any feather picking. I have also noticed that they are starting to drop more feathers a couple at a time. They are looking pretty rough around the edges. So I'm hoping they are just starting their molt. Thanks Again!!
smile.png

Last edited:
My millies have all started molting within the past week, so this may just be 'that time of year' for them.

If you suspect molting, upping their protein intake helps feathers come back in quicker and sleeker.

Also, look around their vent area. If they have mites you'll see them moving around in that area.

Back
Top Bottom