Standard Salmon Faverolle vs Bantam Salmon Faverolle?

CozyDia

Chirping
May 4, 2022
SE Texas
What is the difference between a standard Salmon Faverolle and a bantam Salmon Faverolle?

Recently bought and incubated some bantam SF eggs and the weight range of the dozen eggs was 39g-50g. This made me suspicious if these were even bantam eggs to begin with because I have a 1yr old SF hen from Meyer Hatchery that lays eggs that weighs in that range. To compare, the only bantams I had were d'uccles and their eggs were 33g-41g.

I mainly bought these eggs because I thought I could get a SF nearly the same size as my d'uccles or at least smaller than my current SF hen, but if their the same size as my hen then it defeats the purpose of incubating these eggs to begin with :(

There is a size difference, but you need to see the breeders stock to make comparisons. Every breeders have there own line and how they may develop it further. From my understanding there's not many people working with bantam versions. So the choice is limited.

Chickens come in pretty much 4 sizes. Large Fowl Heavy, Large Fowl Light, Normal bantam and micro bantam.

Bantam versions of LF breeds like faverolles, wyandottes, sussex, australorp etc come in the normal bantam size, which varies a bit but is often around half the size/weight of the large fowl version (this is a massive generalisation, check each breed standard for the weight ranges).

These normal bantams often lay medium sized eggs, which are closer in size to LF eggs than their bodies are. So, very good food conversion ratio!!

Then the micro bantams are usually made up of "true bantam" breeds , so breeds that are not a miniature version of a LF breed, as they are a standalone bantam. Like sebrights, d'uccles, seramas, Japanese bantams, booted bantams, etc. They lay really small eggs.

Long story short, bantam Faverolles will be a fair bit larger than your d'uccles, but smaller than a standard sized (LF) Faverolles.

(I have kept this simplistic just to explain the general rule of thumb)

I found this which might be helpful?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230724_022136.jpg
    Screenshot_20230724_022136.jpg
    691.7 KB · Views: 36
I'm sure they are bantam. In my opinion, Bantam Faverolles are of much higher quality than most large fowl. When I had both, their eggs were very close in size.

Chickens come in pretty much 4 sizes. Large Fowl Heavy, Large Fowl Light, Normal bantam and micro bantam.

Bantam versions of LF breeds like faverolles, wyandottes, sussex, australorp etc come in the normal bantam size, which varies a bit but is often around half the size/weight of the large fowl version (this is a massive generalisation, check each breed standard for the weight ranges).

These normal bantams often lay medium sized eggs, which are closer in size to LF eggs than their bodies are. So, very good food conversion ratio!!

Then the micro bantams are usually made up of "true bantam" breeds , so breeds that are not a miniature version of a LF breed, as they are a standalone bantam. Like sebrights, d'uccles, seramas, Japanese bantams, booted bantams, etc. They lay really small eggs.

Long story short, bantam Faverolles will be a fair bit larger than your d'uccles, but smaller than a standard sized (LF) Faverolles.

(I have kept this simplistic just to explain the general rule of thumb)
All correct, except one thing: usually bantam versions of a LF breed are around a quarter of the size of the large fowl.
Which is why bantam Leghorns are the same size as d’Uccles
I made a reference video thingy for comparison
I wouldn’t recommend turning on sound
It can be grating

Back
Top Bottom