Unfortunately none of the first round of attempts received the frizzle gene. I’m coming into winter, so no further attempts for a few months.

I am preparing with a couple of different birds to add into the next season.

However, it has been a good learning opportunity as they have a number of interesting genes on both paternal and maternal sides. Beards, polydactyly, sexlinked melanising gene, brachydactyly, feather legs, vulture hocks, dwarfism, yellow legs, ER vs eWh loci, and somehow even a crest!

Projects are great for earning about everything except the goal 😆.
View attachment 3426908View attachment 3426909View attachment 3426910View attachment 3426911
You don’t have any other crested chickens?

You don’t have any other crested chickens?
Nope. Unless a small crest is hiding within the sire’s frizzling. It’s my understanding it’s autosomal incomplete dominant.

Attachments

• 73D7652C-12E1-4DD0-81D6-A98B02E48A62.jpeg
    73D7652C-12E1-4DD0-81D6-A98B02E48A62.jpeg
    858.7 KB · Views: 10
What other breeds do you have?
In this pen, only Faverolles and the single frizzle pekin (bantam Cochin) rooster. It’s completely enclosed, no one can get in or out. So I’m 100% sure of the parentage.

Free ranging I have a salmon Faverolles rooster, and an eclectic mix of acquired hens (vorwerk, wyandottes, elderly salmon Faverolles, hyline). They go to bed in a separate area. They cannot get into that breeding pen and they lay elsewhere.

Four salmon Faverolles and three pekin (bantam Cochin) x Faverolles chicks. They are all three weeks old.

Despite the small paternal size, the black chicks are rivalling the size of the large Faverolles chicks. It will be interesting to see their final adult size. The bantam mixes are very solid and surprisingly heavy when I pick them up.

I was convinced all three were smooth as at 2 weeks old they had no curly feathers. However in the last week it’s looking like two might be starting to frizzle!

I have four more frizzle pekin x Faverolles eggs in the incubator, they are due to hatch in 9 days.
Please submit your picture of the frizzle standing tall and looking over his shoulder for the calendar contest. This photo is a winner. Would also be super cute on a tshirt or tote bag!

Back
Top Bottom