Looking for more info on bantams in general

I might try that. I've been so busy getting our big girls ready for Winter that I've not had much time for anything else. At 62 I move a lot slower than I used to, lol.
Speaking of Winter, we get pretty cold temps here. How well do little Bantams do in the cold?

Don't know, this will be my first winter with super tiny bantams. My more regular bantams need the same as my LFs. In either case, I don't experience super cold weather, so it's just not my expertise

It probably doesn't get as cold here as some parts of the States, but we had deep snow and temps down to -15°C here last winter. I had a mixed flock of bantams and micro bantams at the time and nobody died of cold. There were enough of them in the coop to snuggle and keep each other warm at night with their collective body heat and they were just fine. My sebright used to cover her toes with her chest feathers on the roost so they stuck out underneath her as if she had feathered feet!

I don't mollycoddle my chickens. They go out in all weathers, hot or cold. This means they develop hardiness and the right feather density for the season.

And yes, some of the bantams do fly! But they don't leave home. They know where they live, where the dogs are, the flock, and where the food is! They just use their abilities to eat the grapes off my vine 😂. A couple of times I had a young serama or might have been OEGB cockerel venture next door, but that was because something freaked him out. I just went round and got him.

My normal sized bantam Welsummer flies around a bit but never goes over the fence even though she can. I don't clip their wings because I haven't needed to.

It probably doesn't get as cold here as some parts of the States, but we had deep snow and temps down to -15°C here last winter. I had a mixed flock of bantams and micro bantams at the time and nobody died of cold. There were enough of them in the coop to snuggle and keep each other warm at night with their collective body heat and they were just fine. My sebright used to cover her toes with her chest feathers on the roost so they stuck out underneath her as if she had feathered feet!

I don't mollycoddle my chickens. They go out in all weathers, hot or cold. This means they develop hardiness and the right feather density for the season.

And yes, some of the bantams do fly! But they don't leave home. They know where they live, where the dogs are, the flock, and where the food is! They just use their abilities to eat the grapes off my vine 😂. A couple of times I had a young serama or might have been OEGB cockerel venture next door, but that was because something freaked him out. I just went round and got him.

My normal sized bantam Welsummer flies around a bit but never goes over the fence even though she can. I don't clip their wings because I haven't needed to.
We only have the 3 Bantams, and their coop is pretty big for so few and so small. I thought about putting them in the girls, but I worry about the size difference, lol. I figure if they get too cold they will go inside. I'll be able to keep the door closed part way to keep more of the cold out.
I'm just trying to learn as much as I can about the little guys so I can plan. Thanks for your help 👍

We only have the 3 Bantams, and their coop is pretty big for so few and so small. I thought about putting them in the girls, but I worry about the size difference, lol. I figure if they get too cold they will go inside. I'll be able to keep the door closed part way to keep more of the cold out.
I'm just trying to learn as much as I can about the little guys so I can plan. Thanks for your help 👍
I have had a multi sized flock with the largest being Jersey Giants and the smallest being Seramas, and they all lived together quite happily. In fact, my teensy Serama rooster ruled that flock, even though he couldn't mate with any of the larger hens.

Putting bantams with your main flock can work out fine. It all depends on personalities of your birds, not their size.

Large does not mean bully, just as small does not mean meek. And for winter warmth, it could be a good idea.

I have had a multi sized flock with the largest being Jersey Giants and the smallest being Seramas, and they all lived together quite happily. In fact, my teensy Serama rooster ruled that flock, even though he couldn't mate with any of the larger hens.

Putting bantams with your main flock can work out fine. It all depends on personalities of your birds, not their size.

Large does not mean bully, just as small does not mean meek. And for winter warmth, it could be a good idea.
Thanks. I have been considering putting them together. If for no other reason beside keeping them warm during Winter. They seem quite curious about each other thru the run wire. No rudeness or anger, lol.

Back
Top Bottom