Looking for more info on bantams in general

Really? Yeah, I don't know for certain. I did the wing thing, and they have the long feather short feather pattern. I was wondering what kind of noise they make. Two of these sound like they are being choked. Or, maybe, like little dinosaurs lol.
As regards the wing feather sexing, many internet pages forget to tell the most important fact: it does not work on most chickens. It only works when someone crosses a rooster with the gene for fast feathering and a hen with the gene for slow feathering.

When a cockerel is first learning to crow, it is common for him to sound like he is being choked. So you may be hearing some crowing.

My best guess is that they are about 6 weeks old.
If they are 6 weeks old, I am pretty confident all three are males. Those combs are quite big and red for that age.

I agree, but if they're close to three months there might be hope

As regards the wing feather sexing, many internet pages forget to tell the most important fact: it does not work on most chickens. It only works when someone crosses a rooster with the gene for fast feathering and a hen with the gene for slow feathering.

When a cockerel is first learning to crow, it is common for him to sound like he is being choked. So you may be hearing some crowing.

If they are 6 weeks old, I am pretty confident all three are males. Those combs are quite big and red for that age.
So how do I tell? One hasn't made that noise, and the other 2 have been doing it for close to a couple of weeks. Not a lot, and not as loud, so I guess they were just trying it out.

So how do I tell? One hasn't made that noise, and the other 2 have been doing it for close to a couple of weeks. Not a lot, and not as loud, so I guess they were just trying it out.
Start a new thread in the section "What Breed or Gender is this," with clear photos of each bird. Try to have at least one good photo showing the comb & wattles, and one showing the body.

You will get several opinions. If everyone agrees, they are probably all correct. If some people say male and others say female, you may have to wait until the birds grow a bit older to be sure.

Link to the correct section to place the new thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/what-breed-or-gender-is-this.15/

Start a new thread in the section "What Breed or Gender is this," with clear photos of each bird. Try to have at least one good photo showing the comb & wattles, and one showing the body.

You will get several opinions. If everyone agrees, they are probably all correct. If some people say male and others say female, you may have to wait until the birds grow a bit older to be sure.

Link to the correct section to place the new thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/what-breed-or-gender-is-this.15/
Will do. Thank you so much.

What @NatJ said!

They mature pretty much the same as LF, maybe a little earlier but it's very breed specific (though I found the Barnevelders took ages). I treat my bantams the same as any other chicken. They just take up less space, lay bigger eggs for their body size, eat less and are more cute than large fowl!

It means I can have a rainbow flock of many different breeds and colours in the small space I have.

I raised some OEGB a couple years ago and loved them! So pretty, so friendly, and shaped like little rugby balls on stilts!
They are adorable, and pretty friendly. They like to fly, however, lol.

Oh yes! These kinds of bantams are amazing flyers. It's kind of unorthodox, but instead of clipping their wings I just teach them to fly back to me
I might try that. I've been so busy getting our big girls ready for Winter that I've not had much time for anything else. At 62 I move a lot slower than I used to, lol.
Speaking of Winter, we get pretty cold temps here. How well do little Bantams do in the cold?

Back
Top Bottom