D'Uccle questions

Bird fanatic

Songster
May 10, 2021
I have 5 little D'Uccles, 2 boys and 3 girls, and I am about ready to move them into a very large area but it is not covered, it is at least 2,000 sq.ft they will be with all my other chickens but will have tons of room to escape them and avoid them. With all of this space and room will they still fly out, the height of the fence is 6 feet in most places 8 feet in other places? I don't want to lose them, I want to breed them.

I have 5 little D'Uccles, 2 boys and 3 girls, and I am about ready to move them into a very large area but it is not covered, it is at least 2,000 sq.ft they will be with all my other chickens but will have tons of room to escape them and avoid them. With all of this space and room will they still fly out, the height of the fence is 6 feet in most places 8 feet in other places? I don't want to lose them, I want to breed them.
Clip their wings if you plan to do this - I had one fly at least 25-30 ft up to the roof of my house because she got startled

Clip their wings if you plan to do this - I had one fly at least 25-30 ft up to the roof of my house because she got startled
Yes I knew that would probably be the only option but will they grow back in time for the fair next year in July, I've had a chicken take a year to grow them back and I was planning on showing one of my roos and hens out of this bunch

Yes, d'Uccles will definitely fly over a 6-8 foot fence. I lost one of my d'Uccle pullets after she flew out of the yard, went over 12 foot fencing by first jumping on top of the coop and tree branch. She got stolen by a passerby before I'd realized she had escaped.

If you don't want to clip their wings, best option is to keep them in a covered run, or put netting over the yard, to keep your chickens in and flying predators out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom