D'uccle with Coryza

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by handletheze, Sep 1, 2014.

1. handletheze

handletheze New Egg

Jul 9, 2013
    Upon getting advice from the forum I started my d'uccle Bucky on Sulmet (which I had a very hard time obtaining !) Saturday afternoon. He has not shown much improvement. I have him caged so that the only water that he has access to is the Sulmet water. He has not been drinking very much at all so maybe that is why he is not improving. The questions are: Do I dare to treat him longer than the recommended two days and if he is not drinking much on his own should I try to give him the water via needleless syringe ? I am concerned about aspiration if I were to do the syringe. Any advice ? Thanks so much in advance for your response. I have learned a lot since joining this site ! Gayla

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would also use it on his chicken feed to moisten it. In coccidiosis Sulmet can be given 1 ounce per gallon for 2 days, then 1/2 ounce for 4 more days, so you could give it longer. If used longer than that, it may be toxic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by