D'uccles or Wyandottes, which would you choose?

I'd go with some Silver-Laced Wyandottes.... but that's me. Both are beautiful breeds. Both breeds are known to be quite calm. Maybe get some of both?! *hehe*

Hi! If you want mellow, laid back birds go for the silver-laced Wyandottes. I sold mine because they were too MELLOW and ended up being the 'doormats' of my mixed flock.
They are very beautiful.
Oh, I see you are looking at bantams and mine were standards --- could be very different personalities.

smile.png

Lisa

d'uccles aren't as hardy as Wyandottes. I prefer the Wyandottes. Buy the one YOU like, you have to live w/them.

Get some of both!
big_smile.png

My wyandottes are standards. The SLW is one of the dominant hens. The GLW is more mellow. Both are lovely and have curious personalities.

My mille fluer d'uccles are a hoot! They totally win so far as fun, funky personalities go. Plus they are pretty little things too. There is a d'uccle thread on here somewhere (started by Speckledhen). There are lots of pictures on there and lots of people commenting on their birds. That might help.

I have an embarassing number of photos of both on my blog. Feel free to go check them out and see what you think.

Good luck!

I say wyandottes because they are adorable. They are cold hardy and mine lay through the winter. The different strains have different attitudes, my silver laced from one breeder are nippy but the others I have are calm as can be. Overall my wyandottes are good.
I dont care for duccles because they have feathered feet. The feathered feet gunk up easily and when they are still pin feathers they can break and its a bloody mess. The d'uccles arent that active, the roosters I have had were mean, the hens dont lay well. Also they can and will get frost bite.

Um... I have Mille Fleur d'Uccles, and they do really well in the winter, lay well, are great mothers, and are sweet enough to be house-chickens...
smile.png

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Um... I have Mille Fleur d'Uccles, and they do really well in the winter, lay well, are great mothers, and are sweet enough to be house-chickens...
smile.png

Meyer Hatchery says that they don't do well in heat? What do you think? We live where it gets really hot & humid in the summer.​

Back
Top Bottom