D'Uccles...Tell Me Something...

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
How broody are they, say compared to a Silkie? How's the rooster's crow? How about the rooster's temperament?How large are the eggs compared to other bantams?

I have one bantam Cochin, no others, but I'm fascinated with the Porcelain D'Uccles as a possible second variety of bantam. My DH loves Shadow and if she could have a couple of pals in their own coop, well, you see where this is going. I need more input, though.

lol Cyn, I knew where that was going.

I had the Belgian Quail D'anvers, The hens were precious. Mine never went broody. The rooster was a little stinker, but when he's only as big as a Coke can he's not really threatening. But I never wore shorts. I'm sure he would have annoyed me then. 75% of the time he never really messed with me, just danced around getting in the way. The rest of the time he would attack my shoe laces and try to spur my leg. It was ridiculous really. I'm glad he wasn't an Orpington. Usually I just scooped him up and carried him around the pen while I was in there because I was scared I would step on them. His crow was not bad at all. Deeper than the OEGB roos' but shriller than the standards. Eggs were fairly small.

Here is the adorable couple with him giving me the stink eye...little fart

BelgianQuaildanvernew.jpg

Last edited:
I've not had my silkie or D'uccles long enough to answer the broody question but I must say D'Uccles are my favorites
smile.png

The picture in my avatar is my young hen, Nestie. I just had my blind 10 year old D'uccle hen , Millie, pass away. I had a rooster too- beautiful and I'd say his crow was loud but he didn't crow much, few times in the am is about it.

16448_duccle0808.jpg

spotsplus

ps. I love the porcelains. These guys are Mille Fluer.

These guys are kinda hard to resist, aren't they? I recently got a regular Mille Fleur pullet and a gold-necked pullet, and I think they're both beautiful. Now I'm thinking of getting some blue Mille fleurs from Ideal in the spring.

Here's my little gold-neck:

goldneck--09-30-08--1small.jpg

Oooh, I love the Porcelain D'Uccles too. I was considering getting some to go in my banty pen but wasn't sure how they would do with silkies, frizzles, and cochins. They are just beautiful
love.gif
There just are too many nice breeds, I need help
roll.png

LOL....this sounds like me! My son and I recently discovered Atwoods had another round of chicks from Ideal. He begged me for his own little "flock", so I grabbed him a handful of little bantie cochins and silkies....all different colors. Low and behold, one was obviously a Porcelain D'uccle and I became entranced with the buff/lavender mix of color in her little wings. Unfortunately, she died. So what did I do? I ordered 12+ eggs of Porcelains from a breeder and pulled my incubator back out of storage. I'm waiting on them to arrive early next week. Like I needed another breed! But she was soooo pretty!
he.gif

I wish I could add more to this... but my pullet hasn't even started laying yet. She is certainly different than all my other chickens... much more aloof and wouls rather be all alone than with all of the others, of course some of it is due to the fact that every roo wants to mate her... she is the only one that they will not leave alone.... of course, she is also the only spotted one... maybe she looks exotic to them
tongue.png

My roo hasn't started crowing... but he is feisty! More than once he's ran up on me because he thinks I am hurting someone.... hr does this puffy, dodgey dance... but I remind him who is boss and he backs down. Actually... the only naughty roo I have so far is my Silkie. He tried to throttle my toddler the other day..... guess he only picks on people his own size
tongue.png
LOL Luckily I intervened before anything happened and my son never even knew (his back was turned)

I will certainly be getting more d'uccles once I get a coop and run all their own built
smile.png
Would love some porcelains and other colors
smile.png

I can't comment on the broody part or the egg part as we are all stubbornly refusing to lay anything, but I too really enjoy my mille fleur d'uccles.
My rooster started out as a very affectionate chick. As he has moved into adolescence he has become a bit more standoffish, but he's still a hoot! He has the best personality and is just plain funny. He has this high tenor crow of which he is quite proud. He pecked me once (I think he jumped up and pecked me on the calf). I chased him all over the yard in an effort to pick him up. He's a fast little sucker! After the Great Chase we've been fine.

My pullet has always been shy. She's also full of personality and quick to express her displeasure. She's quite the little diva. I have enjoyed these enough that I hope to hatch out more in the spring.
Here are my two.
2983_img_1079.jpg

My milli fluer d'uccle is named Tyson. For 2 reasons He thinks he is Mike and also for the food. He's kind of onery. But they are so small that he doesn't make much of an impact. The hens are the most loving bantam that I have. They're not as broody as the silkie, but can be persistant when they are.
got any Captain??
9-6-0800040.jpg

Back
Top Bottom