Duck acting odd possible trauma or infection green poop

Pics

Mrichard0930

Songster
7 Years
Sep 15, 2016
Hello I have two Pekins females 2 yo. The one Donald has been acting off for a week. I’ve isolated her brought inside saw only minimal improvement. Last week in a matter of twos days a couple odd things happened first her and other duck webby wouldn’t get out of pond to go in house at night which is not the norm Since we had them. So when I donald out i leaped at her to grab her. Webby is usually the follower. So the next day Donald seemed okay. I went to change the water in the pen and I was shocked when I touched the cord. That night they wouldn’t get out of pond again we had to leave them in next day I got webby out first which is unusual. we’ll my husband got Donald out and told me she isn’t walking. We brought her in she only stood still after few days she is walking fine eating walking to me for grape treats. I put her out for first time yesterday just during the day and she just stood around webby danced for her but Donald didn’t like she normally does. Donald was the one with the personality that came running up first and dancing very active so this is very odd. She musta stands around. So did she get shocked from cord too - maybe one of my goats they sleep with at night rammed her too hard (I’ve caught them a few times give them a little head but they usually get away tho). Or maybe when I jumped at her my arm hit her too hard. I ordered some supplement that comes tmrw that I read online to give them when they’re not walking so I’m hoping that works but now she walks just fine and I think it’s mentally or internally I stared wondering if she is blind because when I hold grape she doesn’t go right for it. Her poop is green I thought from grapes but maybe she has infection or virus ? Ugh what could be wrong any ideas? Thanks everyone

Last edited:
Could you post a video of Donald so we can see how she is acting. Also a picture of her poop would help.

Is the cord in the water? To what is the cord attached? Is it an extension cord?

Have you done a full exam to see if there is any swelling or tender spots?
Thanks for replying. I’m at vet now they’re checking her poo under scope

That's great! Please update us when you get home.
Thank you for that...we are home now sent home with antibiotics I have her first dose four days. He checked her stool under scope and said nothing of huge concern but there plentiful bacteria which could be ecoli or some coccititis I have no idea that second one is. No diagnosis though just going to try this for four days and see. She’s inside and gets her daily night bath before bed which she enjoys I just hope she eats tmrw she’s only been eating grapes. I tried peas. I’m supposed to get a supplement yeast in mail today so I’ll start adding that day five to see.

Thank you for that...we are home now sent home with antibiotics I have her first dose four days. He checked her stool under scope and said nothing of huge concern but there plentiful bacteria which could be ecoli or some coccititis I have no idea that second one is. No diagnosis though just going to try this for four days and see. She’s inside and gets her daily night bath before bed which she enjoys I just hope she eats tmrw she’s only been eating grapes. I tried peas. I’m supposed to get a supplement yeast in mail today so I’ll start adding that day five to see.
Grapes is all she will eat?

Sometime when my ducks aren't feeling well they will be more likely to eat things that are floating in a bowl of water. Like floating lettuce. Floating mealworms. And even their regular food in a bowl of water. Also my ducks are obsessed tomatoes.

I hope she feels better soon.

Grapes is all she will eat?

Sometime when my ducks aren't feeling well they will be more likely to eat things that are floating in a bowl of water. Like floating lettuce. Floating mealworms. And even their regular food in a bowl of water. Also my ducks are obsessed tomatoes.

I hope she feels better soon.
Thanks.i just tried putting food in the tub but it sinks blah I’m defrosting a tomato so hopefully that floats she normally loves them too. Great idea thanks

If anyone reads this she’s had 2 days of antibiotic today is day 3 I’ll give her later. Her poop turned a little whitish milky yesterday but still neon green in there and now green flaky like. I wish she was improving but she’s actually sleeping more today I gave her morning bath which I normally only do at night so maybe she’s just confused with time but now she’s just sleeping. She actually nibbled at wet mushy food yesterday I added that yeast. Is sleep good ? I feel like humans needs sleep to fight infection but watching her makes me nervous since I feel like ducks never sleep sleep she isn’t startled by me much. I put hot water in milk carton and wrapped her in towel after bath and she’s really schnuggly so I hope this sleeping is good and not road to death it’s been 8 days since this lameness started. I’m thinking about bringing her sister in for a bath together later to help rejuvenate her - she seems to perk up hearing her at window.

If anyone reads this she’s had 2 days of antibiotic today is day 3 I’ll give her later. Her poop turned a little whitish milky yesterday but still neon green in there and now green flaky like. I wish she was improving but she’s actually sleeping more today I gave her morning bath which I normally only do at night so maybe she’s just confused with time but now she’s just sleeping. She actually nibbled at wet mushy food yesterday I added that yeast. Is sleep good ? I feel like humans needs sleep to fight infection but watching her makes me nervous since I feel like ducks never sleep sleep she isn’t startled by me much. I put hot water in milk carton and wrapped her in towel after bath and she’s really schnuggly so I hope this sleeping is good and not road to death it’s been 8 days since this lameness started. I’m thinking about bringing her sister in for a bath together later to help rejuvenate her - she seems to perk up hearing her at window.
My ducks normally take several naps a day, but lethargy and inability to stay awake would concern me very much.

Is she still barely eating? Just some grapes and that nibble of mushy food? If so I would be worried about dehydration and her loosing weight.

My ducks are very attached to each other, and I try to keep them together unless they need to be separated for recovery after surgery. My ducks get stressed without their flock, and even eat less.

Was the vet an avian vet you took her to? It might be time to take her back. I would, if she were my duck.

@Isaac 0 can you help this duck?

Back
Top Bottom