Duck acting weak

So we let her walk around in the bed a bit yesterday and she seemed to be moving fine. So took her out today. Placed her in the pen and she took a few steps then stumbled and braced herself again. Picked her up and her right foot was laying liml

On the flat surface of the bed she was fine. Uneven ground she couldn’t move as well. Brought her back in and going to make a make shift splint til I get the one I ordered for her. Poor thing

I think it happened when my new Muscovy male tried to mate with her. He is an aggressive mater and was going after her a lot before she got hurt

So we let her walk around in the bed a bit yesterday and she seemed to be moving fine. So took her out today. Placed her in the pen and she took a few steps then stumbled and braced herself again. Picked her up and her right foot was laying liml

On the flat surface of the bed she was fine. Uneven ground she couldn’t move as well. Brought her back in and going to make a make shift splint til I get the one I ordered for her. Poor thing

I think it happened when my new Muscovy male tried to mate with her. He is an aggressive mater and was going after her a lot before she got hurt
When my one girl had a slight limp I think from landing wrong when flying I kept her in a small pen inside the big pen so she was with all her flock but wasn’t needing to go far to get food and water and could rest without the boys bugging her
You could also try to separate the boys for a few days
I just used a dog pen like this

Attachments

• 14621E72-8C15-4448-A778-A3001E67A9F8.jpeg
    14621E72-8C15-4448-A778-A3001E67A9F8.jpeg
    970.6 KB · Views: 1
We splinted the leg and she’s snuggling with my wife currently. She loves my wife. We will see how the leg is in a Few days. There are no avian vets around here that we have been able to find. My vet for my dogs will see my ducks but he admits he is no expert and has never worked with birds and consults a friend he knows that is an avian vet that’s about 4 hours away.

If the leg gets better we will put her back out. I took in the male Muscovy because the person that had him prior couldn’t have ducks anymore. Few times I saw him he was always very laid back but he’s been very aggressive here. Which I was hoping he would be more relaxed since about 4 or my birds are from his flock.

I reached out to the rescue I take ducks from to see if they can find him a new home if he doesn’t mellow out, I don’t want her to heal up and go out and have it happen again, plus I’m going to put blue, my duck with bumblefoot, back out in a day or so and she is tiny, I don’t want her getting hurt either

I’m going to Set up a XL dog crate to use as jail for him. He is fine in the afternoon and all night. Have cameras set up in the pen.
But in the more after letting them out from the coop to the at large Pen, he goes nuts, mating every female, and attacking my male Howard. He went after Howard this morning unprovoked. I had to chase him off. He’s settled down now but it seems for that first half hour-45 minutes in the morning he is ultra-aggressive

Have the rescue I take ducks in from that I will ask to start looking for a new home for him. It may be an “establishing the pecking order” type thing, the flock he came from he was in a flock of 20 ish pekins, about 50-50 males, he was outnumbered and very submissive. Here he has only 2 other males and the largest is very docile.

Back
Top Bottom