Duck Addicts Anonymous (DAA)

Do you have too many ducks?

• Total voters
Pics
Hey y'all I'm Eve!
I've had welsh harlequin, Pekin, crested, blue swedish, mallard and silver appleyard ducks in the past couple of years. My Australian shepherd slaughtered my flock and I was left duckless for what has been the longest year of my life!

Just today I was in TSC and I heard peeping... :he . I of course took a quick look to see what kind of chicks they had. Nothing special, just some EEs and Rhode island reds. I was gonna walk away, but then I saw the bin that said DUCKS!!!!! I looked...I shoulda walked but I looked. I was like
929.gif

SAXONY DUCKLINGS!!!!!!!!!!

So I was only gonna get four (cuz that's all I'm set up for)...but what if the last three were separated by someone who doesn't know anything!?!? So yeah, that's how I ended up with seven ducklings. I'm fairly positive they're Saxony but of course I could be wrong.

Took them home speedy fast and flipped a broken old rabbit run into a duckling brooder. I didn't go too overboard, I got them fresh filtered water, some mash with nutritional yeast, some dry crumbles (taste tested of course), a safety heat lamp, pH tested their soil, took a cotton swab and scrubbed those blades of grass, stepped back and asked myself WWAHPOSDDTGMBD? And then I made sure every panel on their brooder couldn't be kicked in.

They will have a huge run when they're too fat for hawks. I'm brooding them outside because inside we have cats and dogs.

Here's pics!
20210912_181650.jpg
20210912_161602.jpg

Hey y'all I'm Eve!
I've had welsh harlequin, Pekin, crested, blue swedish, mallard and silver appleyard ducks in the past couple of years. My Australian shepherd slaughtered my flock and I was left duckless for what has been the longest year of my life!

Just today I was in TSC and I heard peeping... :he . I of course took a quick look to see what kind of chicks they had. Nothing special, just some EEs and Rhode island reds. I was gonna walk away, but then I saw the bin that said DUCKS!!!!! I looked...I shoulda walked but I looked. I was like View attachment 2831693
SAXONY DUCKLINGS!!!!!!!!!!

So I was only gonna get four (cuz that's all I'm set up for)...but what if the last three were separated by someone who doesn't know anything!?!? So yeah, that's how I ended up with seven ducklings. I'm fairly positive they're Saxony but of course I could be wrong.

Took them home speedy fast and flipped a broken old rabbit run into a duckling brooder. I didn't go too overboard, I got them fresh filtered water, some mash with nutritional yeast, some dry crumbles (taste tested of course), a safety heat lamp, pH tested their soil, took a cotton swab and scrubbed those blades of grass, stepped back and asked myself WWAHPOSDDTGMBD? And then I made sure every panel on their brooder couldn't be kicked in.

They will have a huge run when they're too fat for hawks. I'm brooding them outside because inside we have cats and dogs.

Here's pics!View attachment 2831710View attachment 2831715
Adorable! 4 are definitely Saxony ducklings. Other 2 might be Pekin or just really hard to see the markings in the photos.

Adorable! 4 are definitely Saxony ducklings. Other 2 might be Pekin or just really hard to see the markings in the photos.
Yeah some of them have extremely orange markings that are hard to see. There's a bet goin on right now that they're either Saxony or runner ducklings. They have sat straight up in the air like little bitsy wine bottles, but I'm still leaning towards Saxony. It's a wait and see kinda thing😂

And I totally used this as an excuse to look at and share old duckling photos
I'm really bad about doing this :lau

And thank you! I'm so happy to have some Saxony:celebrate. The mystery ducklings have me excited.

Back
Top Bottom