Duck Addicts Anonymous (DAA)

Do you have too many ducks?

• Total voters
Pics
Sometimes I think about getting call ducks. I have thought about just getting males, because honestly what could they possibly do to my regular breed females. Until then I will have to suffice with my little Eva. She has a smaller beak than normal, giving her that call duck look. My husband calls her our Pokeduck.

DSC_0775.JPG

Okay DAA fam... I have a feed question.

I have read somewhere here, that ducks will not take oyster shell as needed like chickens do. Is this true?

If it is, I need advice on how to move forward once they start laying. I currently have 2 drakes and Rona (chicken hen) living and eating with them. I am feeding an 18% starter (always have) with oyster shell on the side for Rona. I have never fed layer. Always Flock Raiser or Starter. Will my current feed regimen be fine once they start laying, or will I need to use layer? I'm okay with giving Rona layer feed, but giving it to the drakes makes me nervous with the higher calcium content.

Didn't realize that question would turn into a biography about my feed anxiety. My apologies. 😅

I have read somewhere here, that ducks will not take oyster shell as needed like chickens do. Is this true?

If it is, I need advice on how to move forward once they start laying. I currently have 2 drakes and Rona (chicken hen) living and eating with them. I am feeding an 18% starter (always have) with oyster shell on the side for Rona. I have never fed layer. Always Flock Raiser or Starter. Will my current feed regimen be fine once they start laying, or will I need to use layer? I'm okay with giving Rona layer feed, but giving it to the drakes makes me nervous with the higher calcium content.

Didn't realize that question would turn into a biography about my feed anxiety. My apologies. 😅
My ducks eat oyster shell all the time. I don't know if they quite get the hankering for it like chicken supposedly do, or if they just taking nibbles out of it because it's there. Either way, mine eat it. Both the runners and pekins.

Of course I don't recommend it but both of my drakes along with the hens were raised on layer pellets, I know a lady who only feeds her Muscovy (from hatch, drakes and hens) layer pellets.

I had oyster shell and grit in my ducks pen and I do remember seeing them take it. I don't recommend feeding a laying hen maintenance feed because she's more likely to have problems with binding and shelless eggs.

I have only raised ducklings to adulthood three times. Hopefully someone with more experience will weigh in.

Back
Top Bottom