Duck Addicts Anonymous (DAA)

Do you have too many ducks?

• Total voters
The other day I said I got another 4 ducks. Well, yesterday we went to a poultry auction to "just look". That just looking resulted in another 19 birds. 6 of those are ducks. I now have 3 Pekin ducks and a rouen trio added to my list. So, 9 mutt ducks (5 are drakes and will be going. Also potentially 3 of the ducks too because we don't need too many for laying), a pair of Indian runners, a cayuga drake, 3 pekins and a rouen trio. That brings my total up to 18 ducks. I'll be getting a pekin drake soon too and a cayuga duck or two once we can find some good ones.

Also, what can I do for one of my rouens? She was stood on on the way home and her leg is a bit sore. Plus, she's a big duck and her legs can't hold her now that one is injured. She's better this morning and I've isolated her from the other ducks because she was laying down a lot and the other ducks were standing on her, slowing down the healing process. She can move pretty quick when she wants to. I moved the other ducks out of the pen and she tried to follow them. Made it pretty far too. I've made sure that she has had plenty of water and feed.

Thank you in advance

Cool! I have 26 runners atm, I’m probably going to sell some soon tho. My original flock was a few of every color variety, so now that I’ve let them breed over the years, I have lots of mix match colors. Which I like because it gives my flock and the birds a little more individualities.

Although, if you are planning on selectively breeding different colors, I would recommend reading Story’s Guide to Raising Ducks, Dave Holderread talks a lot about understanding duck colors in the book.
Thank you. I'll probably just do what you've done. I've only got the 2 now but I know I'll have plenty more soon :lau. I almost brought more runners yesterday too but I could only see some white ones and I wanted some coloured ones. I personally like the mixed colours too. It also makes it easier to tell who's who. And a lot of people would want some different colours if they were only after them for their backyard.

The other day I said I got another 4 ducks. Well, yesterday we went to a poultry auction to "just look". That just looking resulted in another 19 birds. 6 of those are ducks. I now have 3 Pekin ducks and a rouen trio added to my list. So, 9 mutt ducks (5 are drakes and will be going. Also potentially 3 of the ducks too because we don't need too many for laying), a pair of Indian runners, a cayuga drake, 3 pekins and a rouen trio. That brings my total up to 18 ducks. I'll be getting a pekin drake soon too and a cayuga duck or two once we can find some good ones.

Also, what can I do for one of my rouens? She was stood on on the way home and her leg is a bit sore. Plus, she's a big duck and her legs can't hold her now that one is injured. She's better this morning and I've isolated her from the other ducks because she was laying down a lot and the other ducks were standing on her, slowing down the healing process. She can move pretty quick when she wants to. I moved the other ducks out of the pen and she tried to follow them. Made it pretty far too. I've made sure that she has had plenty of water and feed.

Thank you in advance
I had a duck with a similar problem. I just separated him for two days and in that time he healed up well

That’s cool that you got some more ducks! I love my Rouens.

Back
Top Bottom