Duck Addicts Anonymous (DAA)

Do you have too many ducks?

• Total voters
Anyone else's ducks afraid of them? I've hand raised half of these ducks and they still think I'm going to kill them when I go near them :th. Trying to get adorable photos of them yesterday because I hardly have any and they're all just blurs that barely look like ducks. I'm not sure how you guys get all those cute photos.
A lot of sitting by the feed pan. My ducks have gone through some terrible phases where they were smashing into fences and trampling each other to get away from me.
As time went on I just sat there by the feed pan for longer, and they eventually came up to me because they were hungry, then I switched to hand feeding, they had to take it from my hands for a while until I poured it all into the pan.
I can pet most of them now and they will chase me around for treats.
Here's from about two days ago
IMG_20220520_112156317_HDR.jpg

She's only far away because she's on the wrong side of the fence and she knows I'm about to come after her, but she followed me all the way there and she just had to come yell at me😂

Anyone else's ducks afraid of them? I've hand raised half of these ducks and they still think I'm going to kill them when I go near them :th. Trying to get adorable photos of them yesterday because I hardly have any and they're all just blurs that barely look like ducks. I'm not sure how you guys get all those cute photos.
Mine have a distance at which they feel safe, which is relatively close, but do not like to be touched. They see me as most likely an axe murderer who does nice things for them. They will accept their food and their nighttime mealworm treats with great enthusiasm, and will happily swim in their nice clean pools that they watch me fill. However, the second I need to catch one for whatever reason, they switch into prey mode, 100% sure that they are about to be dinner. I guess it’s just a part of being an entirely defenseless prey animal.

Note: My Muscovies were 6 weeks old when I got them, but my Rouens were adults.

Mine only get up in my buisness when I have treats. 😜
Most ducks just aren't lappers.
Sit on the ground with meal worms, peas or cat food and let them come to you.

Can we take a second to talk about that moment when you are outside with your ducks happy and relaxed and they become suddenly still because there’s clearly a Murder Beast somewhere, but you can’t see it, so you ask them, while frantically scanning around, if it has feathers or fur, but they just stand there dead still…

Sigh. If I was a duck, I would have been dead a long time ago! Honestly, even if the problem is clearly in the air, it takes me far too long to see it.

Can we take a second to talk about that moment when you are outside with your ducks happy and relaxed and they become suddenly still because there’s clearly a Murder Beast somewhere, but you can’t see it, so you ask them, while frantically scanning around, if it has feathers or fur, but they just stand there dead still…

Sigh. If I was a duck, I would have been dead a long time ago! Honestly, even if the problem is clearly in the air, it takes me far too long to see it.
Yes. I frequently can't find the Murder Beast. Occasionally I manage to follow the "one duck eyeball stare" and it's a ferocious rabbit or an airplane.

A few times I actually spotted a real bird of prey. I was incredibly proud of myself. Then I was the crazy lady shouting at the bird. I frequently chase coyotes.

My ducks are the sweetest. Somehow they know I'll save them. They run to me and lay down on my feet at the first signs of scary things. 💖🦆

Back
Top Bottom